Chapter 3

I grunted as I tried to take off the little red dress I had on now. It would seem too desperate, with the low V neck and the tight fabric. It would also look ridiculous with the cast still wrapping my hand. I sift through my wardrobe viciously, hoping to find the perfect attire for today. For Casey.

I sensed that he and Dawson had a little something, and I was honestly afraid. Dawson is fierce, and she shines so bright. It would be hard to compete to her. I sighed repeatedly as I took off the sixth outfit I tried today. I looked at my reflection in the mirror. I was only wearing a red lace bra and the matching panties.

'Slut,' I tell myself as I drift through my closet. I went with jeans that hugged my legs tight, and a blue tank top, then wore a red cardigan over it. I rolled the sleeve so it reached only above my elbows, showing my cast. Better safe than sorry, and trust me. I will be sorry if my slutty outfit gave Casey the wrong impression and drove him away, and this outfit is nothing but safe. Not. even. remotely. sexy.

I fixed my plain hazel, waist long hair in a simple bun on top of my head. I took my phones, wallet and makeup kit, and put it in my purse. I didn't wait for him to pick me up. We'd agreed to meet at the Starbucks nearest to the fire house. I took a cab there, my car was still in the shop. It had gotten some damage from the school fire the other day. I stepped out of my apartment and hailed a cab.

When I arrived, he was already there, in front of the Starbucks, waiting. He had his hands in his pockets, and his breath was forming white fog around his mouth. I felt the coldness too, and clasped my hand together to gain warmth. He caught sight of me, and smiled.

"Hey," he shouted over. I ran a little to him.

"Hey, Lieutenant," I replied. It made him laugh.

"Now you just sound like one of my guys," he teased. "Call me Casey. Or Matt. Whatever you want," he continued.

"What if I wanted to call you Lieutenant ?" I teased him back. He thought about it, then he faced me.

"Then I'm just gonna have you work for me, then." he said seriously. I smiled and slapped his arm lightly. I was walking into the Starbucks when he went the other way.

"Wait, I thought we were gonna have coffee," I said.

"Yeah, but not here," he said. He looked at me for a second.

"You didn't think I would take you for coffee at Starbucks?" he asked surprisingly.

"Well, of course I did ! You asked me for coffee and asked to meet in front of Starbucks, Lieutenant," I said. He laughed, then I followed him over to his car. It was a pickup, which I reckon was used for his construction. He opened the passenger door, and I climbed in.

He drove to the center of the city, and we stopped and parked in front of a small building. He got off the car, then circled in front of the car to get to my side. He opened my door and I got off the car. Not only he did that, he opened the door for me. When he stepped inside, the waiter in the cashier greeted him cheerfully.

"Hello, Lieutenant Casey," she looked vaguely familiar.

"Hey, Mama Mills. This is Luella," he introduced me, and I got it. This must be Peter Mills' mom. I went out to shake her hand, but she hugged me warmly instead. She ushered us to sit in one of the booths, then went and walked away to fetch us a waiter.

"This is Peter Mills' restaurant. Best food most of us at the fire house had ever eaten," Casey explained. I nodded. Then, a waiter came to take our order.

"I'll have a lasagna and orange juice," Casey said. I hid a smile, and gave the menu a good look.

"I'll have a plain cheeseburger and orange juice, too," I said. Then the waiter almost walked away.