Chapter Seven

"Mr. Hartford?..... I am Katherine Green of Vincent High Astronomical Society. I phoned to inform.. no .. I mean... confirm our participation to Phoebus'14," Kate blurted out the rehearsed lines.

"I'm sorry. Who's this again?" Ryan Hartford sounded confused. "This line is not clear at all. I could only hear nut cracking sounds. Distorted signals, you know... "

Kate sighed in desperation. With all her courage she had managed saying the lines to him and at his request she wondered if she could gather up all the courage and words to repeat it all again. After a few seconds she repeated herself.

"Miss Green, thanks for confirming your participation. But you are late as we informed the invited schools to confirm their participation on or before 11th. Today is 12th of February, " Ryan seemed to doubt Kate's punctuality.

"Mr. Hartford, had not I received the invitation today, I would have confirmed our participation long ago. Don't be so narrow minded."

Kate was proud that her remark rendered Ryan speechless so she bid farewell and hung up.

It was an accomplishment for Kate. She had just had a private conversation with Ryan about a public matter.

Yet his gentility pleased her but her disdain towards him was not reduced at all.