(가시연 ) Thorn Lily: Main Story - CHAPTER 5

The rain began to fall more heavily as I was on my way back from shopping, ruining my carefully put together outfit.

The wind even ended up ripping the umbrella from my hand as I had been moving all my shopping bags into the house, with the help of the taxi driver.

It was lucky that it had happened right in front of the door. Just the thought of having to climb those long stone steps at the mercy of the raging storm made me cringe in horror.

The skies was also celebrating the best day ever that was soon to come. Even it had been raining hard enough to flood the whole city, it wouldn't have been enough to deter bubbling bliss in my heart or the butterflies in my stomach.

I could easily just change out of my wet clothes and into the nice ones that I had bought today.

The inside of the house looked even more depressing than the gloomy weather outside. It was so dreary and cold without the lights on, that I swore I could even detect tints of withering trees from the corners of the room.

As I toured the house, I was grasped by happiness at the thought that it'd be mine alone for the weekend to come.

I abandoned the shopping bags and took a shower first.

I washed myself thoroughly to get the smell of the rain off my flesh. Then I dried my hair and put myself together nicely.

When I had finished preparing for his arrival, I leisurely began to explore the many parts of the house that I had not yet had a chance to visit.

"My...How nice."

As I went around, turning on all the lights as I passed, I soon ended up in the kitchen. Dinner had already been prepared and set out on the table, ready to be eaten anytime.

On the stove sat pots full of soup and seafood stew and in the refridgerator was the evidence of Suh-Hee's thoughtfulness: a plateful of sidedishes to accompany the drinks that me and Yunho would soon share that night.

I really began to feel thankful to her at the sight of the plate of fruits that had even been nicely decorated so that we would be able tp just take it out and eat it right away without any sort of hassle.

I also felt really grateful to the old maid who would have also been cooking up this and that at Suh-Hee's request, while I had been out shopping alone.

But what I felt even more grateful for was the fact that the old maid wasn't here. She must not come to help out during the weekends so she could be with her family.

That's right; you should spend time with your family during the weekend. Isn't that right, Suh- Hee?

Just then, I suddenly remembered the food that was in one of the shopping bags that I had brought with me. I quickly gathered up an armful of the paper bag and made my way back to the kitchen.

As I turned the bag upsidedown, a variety of food items flooded out on to the table.

The sweet and soft vanilla ice cream that I had been craving so much, the plain yougurt that I had eaten every morning, the pomegranate, with its vivid red hue that had eventually succeded in seducing me into buying it, the lemon that I had ended up buying as I thought of her, and excetera... .

...Maybe it was my way of giving a bit of sympathy to her pathetic situation. I blankly stared at the handful of lemons sitting in my hands.

If only she was just a little bit more stupid. If only she was just a little bit more selfish. Then...I wouldn't have to be so confused.

I opened the trash can and threw away the whole of the bag with the five lemons still in it and angrily slammed the lid shut.

Upset, I opened the tub of ice cream and began shoveling it into my mouth. I grabbed at my cheek and moaned in pain at the ache in my teeth in response to the cold.