Chapter 3: Like Father Like Son

Bommie, Mommie, and Synthia had just arrived home. Synthia yelled at Mommie to leave her alone as Mommie tried to comfort her. Synthia ran to her room and locked the door. Bommie was crying from the commotion and felt bad for Synthia. He sat on his bed right below his picture of Abenation.

"Dad, if you were here, would you enjoy Synthia's suffering?" Bommie asked, looking at the picture.

"Why did you do what you did? I don't get it. Did you enjoy seeing Mommie get poisoned?"

Of course, no response. Bommie walked over to the window and saw Devin saying something to Dommie. He couldn't make out what they were talking about, but Devin was nodding, which somewhat made Dommie shake less. Bommie walked back to the painting, his face turning a deep red. He tried to comfort himself by going in his bed and covering himself with his blanket he named Suzan, but it was no use. He began to breathe violently until his vision went black.

An old memory came to mind. It was a rare happy one, his third Beerd's Duh, the only time that Mommie and Abenation were able to get along. The reason was that Abenation had recently gotten his wisdom teeth removed and was still very sleepy from the operation. Abenation hummed along gently as Mommie sang the Happy Beard's Duh song and served Bommie his favorite cake with blue icing and potartar chaps.

"Happy Beed's Duh, Bommie!" Abenation said, in a soft muffled tone.

"It great! Thank, Dad!" Bommie said, hugging Abenation.

"Me and Abenation made this cake just for you." Mommie said. Bommie's happiness slowly faded along with the dream when he began to wake.

When Bommie woke up, he knew the simple and easy way to make Synthia feel better. He would make her a cake! Even though it wasn't a special holiday, something sugary sweet would be the perfect solution to the family's problems. Bommie wandered down into the kitchen and started searching through the cupboards. He quickly realized that they had almost no food, only a wilted head of broccoli and some mustard. Even Bommie knew he couldn't use these ingredients to make a birthday cake.

Bommie was about to exit when he saw Devin outside of the window. He decided that if he was going to do something as big as making a birthday cake he would need some help. He ran over to grab Devin.

"Uh, what's going on?" Devin asked.

"No talk! Must make Synthia smile!" Bommie screamed, as he ran into the city, dragging Devin by the neck.

Bommie knew the ingredients to the perfect cake: eggs, flour, sugar, butter, and sardines. He could get all of the regular ingredients at the grocery store but he wanted to catch the sardines fresh. He ran down to Righteous River and began splashing around in the water, looking for fish. Unfortunately, Bommie's hand-eye coordination was not ideal and all of the fish easily avoided his large clumsy fingers. Fortunately, Devin was a very efficient fish catcher. As soon as he entered the river, the heat from his demonic body immediately dried everything up for miles, leaving 100 gasping fish.

"Fishes!" Bommie yelled. He put his beloved whip steam that he keeps in his pocket all over the fishes one by one.

"Yay! Now we must go to the supermarket! Are you ready, Devin?" Bommie asked. He picked up Devin, who still had no idea what's going on, off of the remains of water. But right now, all Bommie was thinking about was Synthia's face when she eats his cake.

Bommie stops by Michael's store on the way home for the rest of the ingredients. It was still deserted, so Bommie started to happily take ingredients: flour, sugar, and the best find yet: a giant can of whipped steam! Bommie will make his special secret recipe: devil's food cake with whipped steam filling.

"Great! This perfect for cake! Synthia will be so excited! She will give Bommie long two-hour hug!" Bommie said, completely deluded. He still felt a strange presence from the ominous empty building as he trotted home.

Bommie quickly whipped up the batter, poured it in a pan, and cooked it for 20 minutes. When the timer dinged, he called Mommie and Synthia into the room. They smelled the delicious sardine and chocolate cake.

"Thank you Bommie!" Synthia said tearfully. "This is just what I needed after a horrible day!"

"Yes, Bommie cook it with flour, sugar, sardines, and some other ingredient Bommie forgot." Bommie watched Synthia take a bite out of the slightly overcooked cake. But instead of the hugging Bommie expected, her eyes started to puff up.

Synthia started gasping for air. Mommie turned to Bommie.

"Whipped steam in cake?" Mommie asked.

"YES!" said Bommie excitedly, before realizing his mistake. Synthia... was deadly allergic.

Without another word, Mommie dove for the phone and dialed 1-9-9.

"HELP!" Mommie shouted. Bommie froze completely with zero movement other than some shaking as Synthia got rushed to the hospital. Bommie ran back to his room feeling guilty. He was balling his eyes out when he went to his bed and covered his face with a pillow. But in the corner of his eye he saw the picture of Abenation and he asked himself,

"Am I like my Dad?"