Chapter 2: Auditions

Unfortunately, Mommie did not get to sleep and neither did Synthia. All throughout the night there was a loud sobbing noise coming from the backyard. Synthia tossed and turned, listening to the sound and worrying about her upcoming auditions. By the time her alarm rang at 7 AM, she was stressed out, exhausted, but still determined to do her best.

Synthia was the first to get out of bed, still a little down about the auditions. Then came Mommie.

"Synthia, you don't look okay, is you fine?" Mommie asked.

"Yeah, I'm just really nervous... what if they don't let me in?" Synthia said.

"Then they is crazy!" Mommie responded.

Bommie came downstairs, feeling incredibly well rested and also extremely hungry after a night of peaceful sleep. Devin was following at his feet. He happily started eating his breakfast when he noticed Dommie was curled up in a ball outside in his backyard. Had Dommie been out there all night? Bommie went outside hoping to figure this out. He walked over and touched Dommie's right leg.

"Is Dommie okay?" Bommie asked. No response. Dommie just shook more violently back and forth. "I'll come back, okay? Just, stay there. I need to go... Devin can stay with you," Bommie said, running. Devin curled up next to Dommie. Bommie still felt a little disturbed, but he gave Dommie a small wave.

Bommie returned to the house. He was supposed to go with Synthia and Mommie to the auditions. He found Synthia dressed in her very best outfit- a beautiful furry purple dress. He screeched with joy, grabbed both of their hands and dragged them to the car.

Once they arrived at the auditions, they realized that Synthia was not the only one promised a job by Deena Sawbeek. In fact, the auditions were packed. There must have been about 100 creatures in the room, all with the shining gleam of hope in their eyes that they would get to go on Goob Boring Amuricah. Auditions were going to be competitive and intense. Synthia quickly threw up in a small trash can.

"Alright. I'm ready!" she said with determination in her voice. After about fifty auditions, it was finally her turn. She was guided to the audition room by a woman. She entered to see a short red-haired man.

"Hello. I'm Jerold. I'll be your judge." the man said, his voice cracking multiple times.

"We would like you to perform the following tongue twisters as fast as you can. You will have one minute. We will be keeping count." The man informed Synthia.

He handed her a piece of paper. Synthia's heart sunk. All of the words seemed to be in ancient egyptian hieroglyphics! She let out a frustrated shriek.

"Annnnnnnd that's a wrap." the man said. "Excellent work, really excellent job... we'll be in touch."

"What?" said Synthia. "I didn't even really get a chance... what is going on?"

"Sorry miss, we have a lot of auditions to get to today.. You really nailed it, promise to let you know soon whether you got the job."

And with that, Jerold pushed Synthia out of the room. Synthia found herself back in the waiting room, face to face with her old friend Charlie. Synthia gasped.

"Well well well, who do we have here?" Charlie said as she flicked Synthia in the nose. "It's almost like you're trying to embarrass yourself. Trust me, you're doing a great job," she said.

"Go away. You're not going to win so stop flattering yourself." Synthia said. She stood up and sat in a different chair.

Charlie went into the audition room. Synthia paced around anxiously. Mommie tried to poke her lovingly on the shoulder but Synthia uncharacteristically brushed her off. Bommie watched with big, watery eyes. He wanted Synthia to be happy, but it didn't sound like her audition had gone very well.

The doors flew open and Charlie was standing in the opening with a terrifyingly enormous smile. She walked over to Synthia.

"The judges loved it, they didn't want me to leave!" Charlie announced to Synthia.

"Charlie, the judges did the same thing and I literally screeched." Synthia said, right before she covered her mouth not wanting Charlie to know about her failure.

"You..." Charlie bursted out into laughter. "Well, I wouldn't be surprised if Jerold let you in anyway,"

"How would you know?" Synthia asked.

"He's my brother, you nut," Charlie said. Synthia froze, knowing that would definitely increase her score. But, maybe watching Charlie wouldn't be that bad? Although she was kind of a jerk, she was entertaining.

Jerold came out minutes later with a white sheet of paper.

Jerold spoke, "Folks, I am pleased to announce the new replacement for Cookie Katrick: Charlie Pupinia!"

Synthia, who was normally the steady rock of the household, began to tear up. Mommie and Bommie knew it was time to go home. They each took an arm and steered Synthia back towards the car, avoiding any eye contact with Charlie or any of the other auditions.

"It not fair!" said Bommie, somewhat comfortingly. "It really not fair."