Chapter 5: Journey to Abenation

Before Bommie could confront Abenation, he would need to find him. He went to go see the last people who had seen Abenation, which were, unfortunately, Synthia and Mommie. Good thing he bought the pumpkin seeds and glue- Synthia's favorites. He wrapped them up and brought them to Synthia's hospital room, where Mommie was resting by her side.

"Hey, Bommie. Need something?" Mommie asked. Synthia was sleeping at the moment.

"Um... well." Bommie didn't know how he could explain. He knew that just like him, Mommie was fragile to these kind of memories. But instead of Bommie watching Mommie get poisoned, Mommie experienced it.

"I need to go see Abenation." Bommie blurted out. "I feel horrible."

Mommie's eyes got really wide and she started to tear up.

"Why?" Mommie asked in a mellow tone. "Why him?"

"I need to know," Bommie answered.

Synthia, who was getting an IV of antihistamines, was a little groggy, but she was still able to comfort Mommie. She gently patted her arm.

"I won't allow it. Never." Mommie announced, raising her voice.

"Come on..." Bommie said. "I know you're hiding something. I don't know what it is right now, and I don't know if I'm involved, but if you won't tell me, then I must see for myself."

Synthia and Mommie exchanged a long, soulful glance. Without words, Mommie expressed her fear and anxiety. What Abenation did was awful- unforgivable. She didn't want Bommie tainted by the misdeeds of his father. Synthia conveyed back that she understood Mommie's fears, but that Bommie was growing up now and it was time that he saw the truth. Synthia's big gentle eyes reassured Mommie, and she gave a tearful nod.

"Don't get hurt, alright?" Mommie asked. "You really are irreplaceable."

Bommie and Mommie exchanged a long hug. "He's 4 miles to the right. We've never seen him in 9 years, so we really don't know what he's like. He could still be a murderer." Mommie said, crying. Bommie nodded.

Bommie walked out of that hospital with determination in his eyes. He was ready to confront his father. Devin trotted patiently behind him, ready to protect and support Bommie on this difficult but important journey. For the first half hour of walking, Bommie was brave but quiet. He didn't speak much, just occasionally muttered to himself. His feet began to blister on mile two, but he kept going. At least until the final mile hit.

"Devin, what do you think happened to Abenation?" Bommie asked. "Do you think he figured out his issues and moved on from killing innocent people?"

Devin shrugged. The two saw a jail from far away, and they knew this had to be it. But there was something next to the entrance.

"Devin? Do you see that?" Bommie asked. Devin squinted his eyes.

"Human! It's human!" Devin said. But why human? Why would he be next to a jail? Did he want his money back? Whatever it was, Bommie missed Human. Even though the two barely talked, Bommie felt a strange connection to the furry critter.

Bommie reached out to lovingly pet Human's head. Human batted his hand away with a bright orange paw.

"Watch the hair do, kid!" Human rebuffed. "Are you here to visit your old man?"

Bommie nodded, eyes wide and almost a little teary.

"Look... I'm going to tell you a story." said Human. "It's not an easy story to tell, but I think you need to hear it... especially if you plan on visiting Abenation. He's not exactly a delightful guy."

"How do you know all of this?" Devin asked.

"I'll tell you. Sit back." Human said. Devin nodded. "It was a cold Autumn afternoon. I was just a stray human searching for food. And maybe if I'm lucky, a new owner. My mother abandoned me a long time ago though, but at least I had my dad. Most people were real kind to me, and treated me with respect. Rarely someone would let me into their homes, but I'd usually get kicked. Until one man saw me from across the street. It was Abenation."

Bommie scooted closer to human, making him pause for a second. He continued his story, "He let me into his house. What really scared me was the millions of different poisons across his wall. That was when I wanted to take my leave. I tried to run out of the door, but Abenation grabbed me by the tail. He picked me up by the neck and hovered me above some kind of potion. It was clear, but had an ice cream consistency. The second my tail touched the strange substance. I felt... different. I felt my vocal chords change and I suddenly got more intelligent. Abenation freaked out and took a closer look at me. I could talk and walk. Abenation kicked me out right after figuring this out. After that, I became a stray cat once again."

"Whoa..." Bommie said. He suddenly felt more compassion for Human. However, this didn't help his doubts about Abenation. It only made them worse.

"I gotta warn you. I've been following Abenation for 12 years and he hasn't gotten any better." Human looked worried for a second and looked at the floor. "But hey, if he tries to attack you. Fight back. It's your only choice." Bommie's opinions of Abenation were shattered. The small chance that he could've changed was gone. Bommie and Devin opened the jail doors.