Chapter 6: The Journey Continues

Bommie walked into the jail and the first thing that he smelled was rotten banana peels. He looked around and saw that all of the inmates of the jail were suffering. The cells were tiny, with no windows, and they were not very clean. There were hundreds of banana peels littering the floor- it seemed like the only food they ate in the jail! What kind of jail was this? He came across a policeman.

"Hello. I would like to see Abenation Reynoldson." Bommie said. The policeman looked confused.

"Who?" He asked. It took some time to remember. "Oh right. He ain't here anymore." Bommie looked absolutely discouraged.

"Well- can I see where he used to live?" Bommie asked plaintively.

"Well, why not? Right around the corner..." the cop answered, spitting a couple of sunflower seed shells out of his mouth as he talked.

Bommie quickly turned to the corner. He didn't know what to expect. It had a giant hole in the wall. It would take a lot of strength to break through, so how could Abenation have done it? The two looked at the hole in disbelief.

"Maybe someone around here knows where he went. We should track him down," Devin purposed. "Also, I wanna get out of this jail. It's noisy."

Devin and Bommie walked out of the giant hole. It occurred to Bommie that they should say something to the cop because perhaps other inmates could use the hole to leave as well. But... Bommie thought, there was so much misery in the jail. Bommie decided he didn't want to say anything. Instead, he focused on making a plan with Devin.

Their plan was simple- Abenation was seven feet tall with dark black hair. They would walk into town and ask if anyone had seen him. They eventually left the yard of the jail and they saw a strange looking woman with five different multicolored scarfs.

"Hello! Have you seen a man name Abenatio-" Bommie got cut off by the woman making a traumatized face. She mumbled and then ran away at almost an unnatural speed.

"Weird..." Bommie said, "What's up with her?"

"Let's follow!" Devin said, quietly. Devin and Bommie began to chase her. The woman looked even more scared and ran faster. She ran up a hill, across a bridge, and through a tunnel. Finally, just as Devin was almost barking at her heels, she ran into a thick crowd of people. They had reached the nearby marketplace.

Bommie gasped. He had never seen such wonderful food. There were carts with beautiful, brightly colored fruits and vegetables. He saw baskets of fresh bread, still slightly steaming from the oven. And best of all, there was one stall dedicated entirely to CHAPS, of all different flavors. Bommie hesitated- he knew they should be focused on finding Abenation, but how could he resist the smell of chaps? No, he couldn't. The chaps were too strong. Bommie walked almost like a zombie towards the chaps until Devin had no choice. He took over his mind.

"You will not get the chaps. We need to find Abenation." Devin said. Bommie nodded. Bommie snapped back to reality. "Those things can't be good for you, anyway. What do they even have in them?"

"I don't know, but you're right. We need to stay on task," Bommie said. The two saw the lady in another stall.

"Please talk to us! We are friendly!" Bommie shouted. The woman ducked behind a large pile of avocados. But didn't run away.

Bommie and Devin approached. "Please, Abenation is my father... I know he is not a good person but I need to find him... Do you know where he is?"

"Yes," The woman said. "I was his wife, but he tried to poison me. You look kind of like him."

Bommie looked bamboozled. "WHAT?!' he screamed.

"I would advise not to see him. The last place I saw him was the Redwouldn't Forest," she said. Bommie knew that this was where he needed to go next.

Bommie and Devin entered the Redwouldn't Forest after finding an old map. It was eerily quiet- no little birds chirping, no sound of squirrels scampering across the ground. Devin trailed closely behind Bommie- he didn't want to get lost. As they got further and further into the trees, it began to get darker.

"I can't believe Abenation was with more people before Mommie. How do you think that woman got poisoned, Devin?" Bommie asked.

"I don't know," Devin replied. "Maybe the same way? How am I supposed to know anyway? It's not like I've ever seen him."

"I guess. But you don't really seem involved in this. This is my father we're talking about, you know. You really need to show me that you care about this whole situation, Devin," Bommie accused. "Sorry about that." 

Devin looked concerned. He needed to apologize somehow.  Before he could, he tripped on something. He fell down onto the dark green grass.

"Devin, what did you step on?" Bommie looked down to see a dead body with a necklace that read the name 'Pandora'.