The Life Of a Doctor

Phana dropped into a seat next to Rend and sighed. Rend was about to leave but he stopped for a few minutes to chat because outside of planned events, they were lucky if they saw each other at all.

"You look like shit." 

Phana looked up at Rend but only shook his head. "Think you can figure out a way to chew this food and I'll digest it?"

"Short of feeding you like a bird, your on your own buddy. How long have you been here?"

"Too fucking long. I was supposed to leave yesterday when that pile up happened and they called all doctors about 2 hours before my shift was supposed to end."

"Oh. No wonder. I got called in too this morning. When do you leave?"

"Tonight if I can help it. Just 4 more hours and then I can sleep, wake, and have sex with Yo, see the baby and actually do something other than check charts or play in other people's blood."

Rend made a face but Pha wasn't wrong. "Did you apply for the time off?"

"Yep. Let's wait and see."

"Hummm." Rend got up and headed back to work. He hadn't been in the Cafeteria 10 minutes and that was already too long. He had to get back to his rounds because he was the jackass who picked neurosurgery and was always on call if not in attendance. 

It often surprised him that Phana's father had pick him to be his protege. 

There was an interesting story behind that. Mr. P and Pat were both major shareholders in the same hospital. They used their connections, pulled some strings and had all five boys sent away to study. Phana held zero interest in brain surgery but Rend apparently had all the makings of a great brain surgeon and actually listened for once when Dr. Kongthanin approached him to be his understudy.

Beam hadn't surprised anyone when he had gone into gynecology and became an Obstetrician. He and Kit worked in similar fields except Kit successfully set out to do what he planned. He was now a successful surgeon, capable of operating on babies in utero. Kit had done his studies in the US, causing Ming to travel frequently, before he himself moved for a short period to work in the US branch of the Company. Ming had used that time to do his masters, specifically studying American made cars, and learning more about the muscle car era. He wanted to bring them back with better hybrids than they had on the market currently.

While he still hadn't created the perfect car, he was one of the leading manufacturers in the world.

They had been back for about five years now and Rend had to admit that Montree was relieved to have all his people back where they belonged. Speaking of Montree, he set out and acquired a certain pharmaceutical company. Gil and Sistine now worked for Mon and while he was still very much the researcher, he did understand that one day, Pat's company would be his to run. It scared the shit out of him but he was tough and Rend believed that he did have the right people working with him so he wasn't too worried. 

Unlike Mon, Yo was already a leader in his father's company. By himself, he liked to describe himself as just a biologist. When he sat down with Ming and they put their heads together, Rend was pretty sure the two would one day rule the world. Yo already had a masters in Bioinformatics and Systems, then went back and braved the chemistry for another masters in Biomolecular Sciences. Yo also had a way with him that made everyone loyal to him and desperately wanted to do anything for him. 

Initially, Yo had made many mistakes when it came to the business side of things but he had persevered and slowly learned how to utilize his people, and their strengths. His father was still very much in charge of things but he was slowly handing the reins to Yo and Yo was skillfully acquiring the people he needed to help him run the show. He had tried to get Forth on his team as well but Forth currently enjoyed the way his life was going too much to switch teams.