The Start Of A Week's Break

Yo opened his eyes with a start. It was the middle of the night and the space next to him was empty. He reached out and felt it was still warm. Rising from the bed, he walked out and just a couple of steps to get to the nursery. There was Pha holding Win who was clutching his father's chest with his chubby arms. He had bounced back from his last illness a few weeks ago very nicely and was back in fighting form. 

"What happened?" Yo asked softly and both turned to look at him, Win with sightly teary eyes.

"He was screaming. I think he had a nightmare. When I came here, his night light was off. I think the bulb blew. I don't know." Yo blinked, surprised he hadn't heard a thing. It made him feel super guilty.

"I know we don't want to make it a habit but let's bring him over? Just this once?"

Pha walked over and engulfed Yo into his other arm. Win grabbed onto his daddy and snuggled into the two of them.

"Don't feel guilty babe. You've been running on fumes for weeks now. You need the rest. Besides. You did wake up, it's just that your eyes refused to open so I pushed you back down on the bed."

"Oh." Yo muttered, relieved a bit. He was so blessed that Pha understood him. They settled back into the bed, Win now resting on Pha's chest while Yo snuggled against Pha's side. His hand on his son's back. Win would be 2 soon. A milestone Yo wasn't ready for. He had walked quickly and his speech was clearing up to the point where he now talked a little too much. Yo was considering having a party but since it was for Win and the boy would be only 2, he didn't see the point of having a big event. 

"Pha? Have you thought about what I said about Win's birthday? It's already close to Mon's wedding and I don't think we need a big party." Yo brought up the conversation again since it was on his mind.

"But we'll all have time off." Pha reminded softly.

"So then let's have a big get together. It's Win's birthday and the chances of him remembering it are really low, I only remember as far back as my 5th birthday. And anyway, all he'll care about is playing with Mick."

Pha made a rumble of sound that made Win giggle. "I need to speak to Kit about that kid of his."

"I like him. He reminds me of you."

"What!? No way!" Phana's horrified shock made Yo stifle a laugh.

"Don't shout and yes he does. He looks up to you. Haven't you noticed how he walks behind you and imitates the way you move and walk and stuff? He does it with Ming too but your the only other person he does that to. Not even Forth or Beam or even Kit. Besides he's like 5. Give it a rest. He'll grow out of it."

"If he's anything like Kit, he wouldn't. Kit is steadfast. He may relax as he gets older but the moment Win is old enough and he thinks it's safe, he'll strike."

Yo stared at Pha in awe and shook his head. "Then you want us to separate them and alienate the little guy?" What would he do if they had another kid? Put them in a bubble?

"No. I prefer the one I know over the one I don't know thanks. If we work this right, I wouldn't have to worry about some unknown idiot making my son unhappy."

"And what if he likes girls?"

"The same applies to them too. You think I wouldn't find out the background information of the teacher and every one of the kids in Win's class when he starts daycare?"

Yo gaped at Pha and felt any comment he could make would just be underwhelming. He couldn't believe Pha would be so outrageous over Win like that. Instead of replying, he thumped Pha on the arm and settled down. Before he blinked it was morning and Win was sitting next to him playing while Pha was at work.