The Dinner

Everyone was at Kit's house by seven that morning. The husbands helped out until the kids were up and had breakfast, then they were all banished to the backyard while their husbands and wife did the cooking. Ming was the only one called in because there was pork to be cooked and he was the best one to do it. Rose showed up at eleven with her contributions. Mostly she had bought lunch for the kids but she had gotten some things for the parents too so they could eat during a break period. 

Kit had considered calling caterers but he really wanted that back in university feel when they all got together and did stuff. Besides they needed to catch up. They hadn't all been in the same place in a long time.

"I can't believe how chunky Win got again. That stomach bug really took him down for a while there." Mon said as he shredded lettuce. 

"Yep. I couldn't leave him alone for a couple of days. I was really worried sick." Yo declared as he headed to the ice-cream maker.

"Looking back now, it was lucky that Forth had it too because I got to have them both with me while I worked. The pictures were the best though." Beam stated, conveniently forgetting that he hadn't wanted any pictures taken.

"Yep the one of Win and Pha holding hands and the one with Sky sleeping on Forth's chest. Gorgeous." Nate gushed and reached for the seasoning.

"I know right! For like two seconds I wanted to look up adoption agencies. I had to talk myself down. I want to wait until after the wedding and we return from our honeymoon, because if we go and I connect with any children right now, I wouldn't want to leave and I know Rend already booked the flights." Mon diced some bell peppers and placed them strategically on the salad.

"How are your plans shaping up?" Kit asked with a smile.

"Perfectly. I called off the search. If her zombie ass wants to show up at the wedding then let her, I know how to deal with that shit. I've seen the movies." They all chuckled like he intended. "But seriously, I feel safe. I didn't feel that way the last time. I'm also ready now. I'm sad that my mom and Tulia are no longer with us but that's ok. They are with us in spirit. I'm happy with what I do, I have a man whom I love and who loves me and my soul is at ease."

"You are different now. That second time, Mon, you were a wreck. I'm happy that you called the wedding off when you did." Yo smiled at him.

"Tell me about it. I had dreams of him walking down the isle then leaving Rend there looking all hurt and confused." Beam said before he put this batch of adult fruit juices in the fridge. 

"That's actually what convinced me to call it off then. I'm glad you told me because I was determined even though I knew I wasn't ready. I needed that dose of Beamy realness to make me self evaluate."

"I'm at your services." Beam turned to Kit. "How's Four by the way? I haven't had the time to pass by lately and check on him."

"He's ok. We went by yesterday and cleaned up and stuff. I was actually hoping I could call a favour Rose." Kit paused in the middle of peeling the shrimp to look at her.

"Huh? Me?" She paused in the middle of slicing apples, her face blank with surprise.

"Yes. Four married Kimina about seven years back. Your remember that wedding. I think you came to that one as well. The both of you." Kit hesitated to call his name. He didn't want Rose to feel down.

"She couldn't speak right?" Rose worked to recall that wedding. She had gotten an invite because Kimina didn't have much family and her brother hadn't given his blessing. They had invited friends to give her support.