TMNT: We don't play The Game .19

It was cold out here.

My hands were in my pockets and my shoulders were nearly up to my ears because I was trying to spread heat throughout my body. I kept pacing back and forth, up and down the alley watching my breath appear in front of my face then disperse. There was a rat or something similar somewhere nearby, scratching at garbage bags trying to find some food.

I had helped Ebony and Freddy pack up only minutes before, afterwards they'd asked if I wanted to go out to a bar with them somewhere but I told them I just wanted to go home. I watched them drive off and then I walked behind Weed and waited.

All the way through the last auditionees I'd been nervously scratching off the nail polish on my thumbs with my other fingers and hadn't paid attention to any of the songs that had been played, which meant I was screwed when it came to making a decision about the new bassist. It sure as hell wasn't gonna be that blonde girl. God, she picked the most depressing songs.

" 'Ey!"

She looked kinda familiar though...

"HEY!"

Suddenly I was shaken from my thoughts. I looked up to see The Nightwatcher's pitch black silhouette stood against the moon.

"Uhh, hey!"

"You comin' up or what?"

"Yeah sure, just gimme minute!" I glanced about looking for a fire escape.

"Come round the side- over there!" He pointed to the far end of the alleyway that was lined with trash cans and garbage was scattered everywhere, as I began to walk down I could hear that rat scuttling about again.

"Eugh, vermin." I looked opposite to the trash cans and where there should have been a large piece of wall, there was a shorter, darker alley with a garage at the end, attached the exterior of the building was a set of metal ladders that led up to roof. I made my way up hastily.

"Come on, will ya'? I ain't got all night." I poked my head over the edge of the roof just as he finished his sentence. "Oh." He was sat down and leant against the brick, the moonlight was glinting off of his suit, I could see by the light that was reflecting off of the visor that his helmet was turned to face me.

"Hey there."

"Hey. Come sit down." I smiled meekly and clambered over the barrier of the stairs, he patted a space next to him and I sat with my knees drawn up to my chin. He sat with his legs outstretched before himself, he turned his head towards the sky and I heard him sigh heavily. "Kid, we gotta talk."

Hang on, what?

"What?" What in god's name could we possibly have to talk about? We literally didn't know anything about each other apart from our names. "What do you mean, exactly?"

"Y'gotta stop following me around and comin' lookin' for me."

"You asked for me to meet you."

"Yeah, only to ask you to stop stalking me." I leant away from the wall so I could the whole of his... Helmet.

"Excuse me, I'd like you to know that first time was totally coincidental kinda'." He leant forward too and turned to face me, he shrugged his shoulders.

"Look, I don't know what t' tell ya. I can't have civilians following me around- my line of work is dangerous to people who don't know what they're doing."

"I know exactly how to take care of myself, thank you very much. How can you possibly preach to me about keeping myself safe when you have a family- you said you have brothers and a father, didn't you? What about them? Do they know you do this stuff?" I gestured to his costume. "Are they safe?"

"No, they don't know I do this, and they're pretty safe, thanks. I don't wanna sit here and talk about my job and my family with some little stalker who doesn't know a Goddamn thing about what I do!" He stood and began to stomp away across the roof, he turned back once and pointed a finger at me. "I don't wanna see you again, okay? Don't come looking for me and don't follow me. Got it?!"

"Oh, fine! Y'know what? Got to hell you little Nightbitch, I won't be there!"

"What did you just say?!"

"You heard me!" I crossed my arms in a huff and leant back against the wall again. "Go to Hell!" He gave up after that and continued to walk away. What a Goddamn jerk. I'd never been in any trouble on the streets, the only problems I ever had were to do with school.

Aw shit.

I waited until I couldn't see him anymore to get up and run back down the metal stairs.

I'd just remembered that I was back at school tomorrow. Fucking Monday.