Chapter 60

Cameron's POV:

I look over to my parents. My mom has tears streaming down her face, while my dad is holding back his.

I'm still in shock. I haven't said anything.

"But-how?" I'm at a loss for words. "How!? I just only turned 18!" I raise my voice.

This can't be happening to me. I'm supposed to go finish high school, make stupid mistakes, fall in love, get married, and have a house filled with kids! I don't want to die!

"When you have leukemia, the bone marrow starts to make a lot of abnormal white blood cells, called leukemia cells. They don't do the work of normal white blood cells. They grow faster than normal cells, and they don't stop growing when they should," My doctor explains to me.

As he continues I look over to my parents again. My mom tried to wipe the tears away from under her eyes and cheeks.

"In your situation you have acute leukemia. Acute leukemia gets worse very fast and may make you feel sick right away. That's why you've been having all these symptoms recently."

"Is there anything we can do to stop it?"

"We can try treatments to help.”

“We’ll do anything we can to stop it,” my mom quickly said, nodding her head repeatedly.

***

When my parents got done with setting up my next appointment, we made our way out to the waiting room.

I quickly panic.

I don’t want to tell them I have cancer. I don’t want to see them cry because of me. I don’t want them to feel bad for me. I don’t want to be treated differently because of this.

I just want to go back to normal where I was healthy and happy.

Tears fill my eyes, but I shut them tightly not letting anything come out.

Ever since we let the room, silence. We haven’t said anything. I'm too scared to say anything, I’ll just break down.

As we’re about to enter the waiting room my mom starts wiping under her puffy eyes. My dad wraps an arm around her.

“I love you guys,” I hug both of them. “So much.”

“We love you, too,” my dad says, rubbing my back.

I take a deep breath as we enter the waiting room.

Bailey and Toby look back, and stand when they see us.

“So? How was the test?” Toby asks, crossing his arms.

“Uhm, well Cameron was diagnosed with cancer.” Bailey and Toby’s draws drop. “It’s leukemia.”

I bite my lip, as I watch Bailey’s eyes fill with tears as she looks at me.

***

“Mom, I'm going to go over to Nash’s.” I tell her, as I pull my keys out of my pocket.

“Okay, sweetie,” she smiles at me, “are you gonna be home for dinner?”  

“I'm not sure, but I’ll text you or Toby.”

***

“Hey man!” Nash greets me with a big smile and pulls me in for a hug.

“Hey. Abby here?” I ask looking around, as I enter his apartment.

“Nope, just Shawn.”

“Yeah? He finally moved in?”

“Yeah, just a few days ago. He’s in his room working on his music,” Nash informs me, while shutting the door.