Chapter 5

I woke up with an aching body but I still tried to stand up and get ready for school. Taking a breath, I walked towards my desk and pulled out a bottle of pills from the sweater I wore a few nights ago.

As I held the bottle, I felt my hands tremble a little from the lack of strength. I walked out and got ready for school.

When I walked downstairs, I didn't see my mother so I took the chance to get her breakfast ready. I started making eggs and bacon for her and I also toasted some bread.

I finally took a tall glass from the shelf and I poured it with orange juice and took out the bottle of pills from my pocket. I twisted open the cap and took out one white pill before closing it up again.

I grabbed two spoons from the drawer and placed the pill on one of the spoons before crushing it with the other until it turned into dust, then I put the powdered medicine into the drink and mixed it in. "What is this?" I heard behind me and I turned to see my mother standing there.

"I made breakfast for you." I said and she took a seat on the kitchen chair. I brought the breakfast to her and she smiled.

"That looks delicious. Thank you." I nodded and my mother took a bite of the bacon and smiled even bigger. "That is good!"

I watched her finish the food before getting myself ready for school. "Did you eat?" My mother asked as she started washing her plate.

I shook my head and she stopped washing before looking at me. "Why?" I shrugged, "Not hungry." I looked at her nervously.

She pointed to the fridge before saying in her most frightening voice, "Eat." I walked over to the fridge and took out a piece of bread and placed it in the toaster.

"How's school?" She asked. I nodded, "It's good. Still an A student." She smiled and then placed her plate away. I took my toast from the toaster and started eating.

I looked at the time and started putting on my coat and my shoes. "I have to go. I'll see you later." I said hugging my mother and she kissed the side of my head before whispering in my ear, "Thank you."

She held my cheeks and smiled, I could see the sadness in her eyes. "I'm sorry that you have to deal with my crazy self." I held her hand and looked at her with seriousness. "You are not crazy. I love you, mother. I will always be there for you whether you like it or not."

She squeezed my hand lightly and nodded. "Of course. I know... I know Sumi. Have fun at school." I gave her a smile and one last hug before walking out of the door and towards the bus stop.

Like last time, I hear the familiar footsteps of Taehyung and I turned to see him behind me with a big smile. "Hey." He said.

"Hey." I smiled and he sighed.

"How was your morning?" Thinking about my mother, I gave him a nod.

"It was good. You?"

"Noisy, as always. I had to wake up to my mother yelling and my father arguing with me about business stocks which did not interest me at all. Sometimes, I want them to talk and do something different, not just yelling and arguing." Taehyung glanced at me and pouted.

I didn't know what to say so I just stayed quiet. Taehyung then breathed in and stretched his arms in the air then released his breath after.

I accidentally pulled a muscle in my leg and it made me groan in pain. Taehyung looked at me worried and I gave him a smile. "I'm fine."

He shook his head, "No, you're not. I can tell from the tension in your back and your scrunched up face, you are in excruciating pain."

"It's fine. It will heal." I said but as I tried to walk again, I almost fell to the ground but Taehyung held my arm.

"We need to get you to a hospital." He said and I pulled my arm away from his grasp.

"No, I'm fine!" Immediately I regretted saying what I said.

My voice came out obnoxious and annoyed. I sounded like a brat and I felt guilty. I sighed before saying, "Taehyung, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to-"

"It's okay, I get it... but you really need to get yourself checked... just in case." He said before holding my arm again and placing it around his neck.

I gave him a small smile and he grinned back. We slowly walked over to the bus station to catch our bus.

***

"Well, you tore a muscle in your leg but, with a little warm water and some rest, it'll heal in about a month." My family doctor said before handing me a note.

I smiled and thanked him before walking out the door. A male figure walked into the clinic before I could head out so I made way for the man to walk through before I realized who it was.

"Jiwon..."

I looked at the familiar tall and muscular guy standing in front of me. My heart started pounding and my hands became sweaty.

Jiwon recognized me and had a surprised look on his face. "Sumi?"

He grinned walking towards me but I took a step back and his smile didn't leave his face. "I see that you're still the same old Sumi from two years ago. Wow, has it really been two years? Seemed like it was two months ago."

I avoided his eye contact as he talked and I felt my heart burning. I couldn't hear anything he had said. He smirked and then walked around me to sign himself in.

My eyes were watering but I held them back before walking out to see Taehyung standing there, leaning on the pillar of the building.

He saw me and smiled before walking towards me. "So, how is it?"

I forced a smile and nodded, "He said it'll take a month to heal as long as I rest. It's nothing serious."

Taehyung sighed and wrapped his arms around me into a hug. "That's a relief. I thought my best friend was going to have to do surgery or something."

I shook my head, "Nope, I'm just going to have to sleep more." We both started laughing as we left for school.

***

"After you have completed chapters one to five, we will have an assignment based on those chapters. You'll have to find a partner and come to me after today to tell me the topic you chose to do. That is all." Mr. Ahn said before everyone in the class started walking out of the classroom.

I grabbed my bag and started limping out of the class but Taehyung took my bag of my shoulder and smiled. "Hey, partner."

"Since when did we become partners?" I looked over at him.

He nudged my shoulder slightly and sighed. "You're always so mean to me. What's so bad about being partners, huh? Am I disgusting to you? Am I not smart enough?"

My eyes widened at his remark but Taehyung started grinning and pointing at me. "You fell for my acting, didn't you? Ha! You fell for it!"

He chuckled but then looked at me seriously, "But really, why can't we be partners?" I shook my head at his ridiculousness and started limping ahead of him.

"Hey! You didn't answer my question!" He shouted as he chased after me through the hallway of our school.