Chapter 6

I sat on top of the slide at the playground and waited for him. As I played with the wood chips that were next to me, I heard footsteps walking towards me and I smiled when I saw him.

"Jiwon!" I ran to him as I wrapped my arms around his neck and he lifted me and spun me around.

"Sumi, did you wait long?" He asked and I shook my head.

He pushed back the hair on my face and kissed my forehead. "I missed you."

I hugged him tightly, "I missed you too."

"How's your mom?" He asked as we walked over to the bench and sat down.

"Still the same... but that's better than getting worse." I said forcing a smile but Jiwon knew that I was actually really upset and he wrapped his comforting arms around my head and pulled me into a hug.

My tears fell from my face and Jiwon caressed the back of my head as he repeatedly said, "It's okay... it's okay..."

***

I woke up screaming and crying, "No! I hate you! I... hate you..."

"Sumi!" A familiar voice spoke out as it's arms wrapped around my head and I could hear their heartbeat which was pacing very quickly.

I slowly started to wake up from the dream... or is it a nightmare? I don't know.

The person kept me in their embrace until my breathing calmed down and I looked up to see Seojoon looking down at my face with a worried look.

"Seojoon..." I said and he wiped the tears from my face. "Was it him... again?"

I nodded and he hugged me again, "I'm so sorry... it's okay now."

After a moment of just sitting there with Seojoon calming me down, I then came back to reality.

I sat up and looked at where we were and I noticed we were at the playground. "How? When did we-"

"We were just sitting down and talking until you fell asleep. You don't remember meeting me here?" Seojoon asked worried.

I shook my head and Seojoon held my hand. "Come, I'll take you home."

He jumped off the platform and helped me down after. I followed him still holding his hand as we walked towards our street.

The sky was turning a darker shade of blue and I could feel the temperature starting to decrease. The wind blew on my face and I shivered which, not surprisingly, Seojoon noticed.

He took off his jacket and wrapped it around my shoulders. I gave him a small smile, "Thanks."

A few minutes later, we reached the front yard of my house and Seojoon stopped at the fence. I turned around and took off his jacket.

"Thank you for bringing me home. I'm sorry that I worried you." I said and Seojoon shook his head, "Don't apologize, I'm just glad you're okay."

I bit my lip and smiled, "Goodnight." I opened the fence and closed it behind me.

"Goodnight, Sumi." Seojoon said and I nodded as I walked inside my house.

My mother greeted me once I closed the door and she was angry. I looked at the floor preparing myself for what she was going to do.

"Sumi." She said in a cold voice. I looked up to meet my mother's face but pain struck my cheek before I could look at her. I stumbled backwards and hit the door.