Magdalaine

Chapter 19: Magdalaine ~

After sitting in that waiting room, feeling out of place, we're finally called and instructed to follow the nurse back to a room where tests are run on Mary Ann. They take her blood, weigh her, record her height, and measure her blood pressure, which the nurse says is a bit high. They do tests I've never even heard of or seen before.

We are then brought to a room where Mary Ann is to lay on the bed with her feet near the monitor. There's a chair for me against the wall and one for the doctor near the bed. She feels a kick.

"Hurry up, come feel it," she tells me.

I rise and place my hand on her belly. There it is; the baby's feet trying to stretch out, trying to escape.

The doctor comes in and introduces himself as Dr. Manko. We shake hands, and he very politely says hello to Mary Ann as he sits before her. I return to my seat also.

"So I understand you're just seventeen," he says to Mary Ann, who nods, slightly embarrassed. "Well, I'm sure you know that can cause problems, but I'll do everything I can to keep you and your baby healthy and safe."

"Thank you," she replies genuinely.

Dr. Manko turns to me. "And you're twenty-two, correct?"

"Yes."

He pans through the papers on his clipboard and nods. "Well, again, it's nice to meet you both," he says, smiling at Mary Ann and I. "Before we get started on the ultrasound, I'm going to ask you some questions to give me a general idea of your baby's current and future health. But even if you think your answer isn't a good one, it doesn't mean your baby will be affected. Okay? Good. Let's get started."

He asks if Mary Ann or I have any sexually transmitted diseases, and of course, both of us say no. Any other diseases? No. Currently or previously had cancer? No. Any relatives who have or have had it?

"My grandmother had breast cancer a few years ago. She died of it," Mary Ann says.

Dr. Manko looks at me for an answer. "My mother died of Leukemia," I say.

Mary Ann looks at me sadly because she didn't know. Then the doctor nods some more and continues, asking us questions about our ethnicity and other things that run in the family.

"Depression?"

"No, I don't think so," Mary Ann replies.

Doc looks at me. I'm honest when I say, "...I'm not sure."

We finish with the questions after what seems like a fairly long time. It's the big test now, the one that will reveal our baby's gender and general health. It's very exciting as I anticipate. Come to think of it, Mary Ann and I haven't even discussed what sex we would prefer for our child or names for him or her. It doesn't really matter to me.

Lots of dads want boys so they can raise them strong and toss around a football and take them fishing. And other dad's want little girls to pamper and call a princess and give them everything in the world. But for me, if my child is either male or female, I think things will be different.

Dr. Manko rubs the gel over Mary Ann's belly and babbles about what the ultrasound machine allows us to see. My eyes are focused on the black and white screen just above the foot of the bed. And there our child is, moving restlessly in its mother's tummy. The doctor tells us everything looks well.

"And...," he begins as he looks closely at the monitor. "Looks like you're having a baby girl. Congratulations."

Before we leave, he gives us an estimated due date of September 14 and a few tips for the coming months of pregnancy. He also says he will be delivering our baby.

Mary Ann and I are both ecstatic when we reach my brother's car. She's so smiley, so delighted with a big, bright grin upon her face. And me, well, I never knew I could feel so happy.

"What could we name her?" Mary Ann asks cheerfully from the passenger seat as I drive home.

Something comes right to mind, a name I remember her mentioning in a letter to me. A name I know she likes.

"Magdalaine? Don't you like that name?"

She slowly pulls her lips up into a smile as she looks at me. "Yes, I do. Do you like it?"

I nod. "We could call her Maggie for short."

I don't think I've ever seen Mary Ann smile so big and so wide. Good. She deserves to be very happy. I'm glad she is thrilled about our child. I can't imagine what it would feel like to be carrying something you didn't wish to have. I would've felt terribly bad knowing she did not want to have this baby, but she is clearly elated.

"What about a middle name? If we want to keep the theme of L.A. Guns songs," she giggles a little, "we could name her Magdalaine Jayne. Like 'The Ballad of Jayne'."

"That's pretty."

"It is, isn't it? Magdalaine Jayne Silvers. It all goes well together, don't ya think?"

"Yeah. I think it will suit her."