That's All You Need

Chapter 14: That's All You Need ~

I've been working at a vehicle repair shop just a short distance from the apartment. I don't mind being a mechanic, for I enjoy working on cars. My father was a big car guy. He loved vehicles, from trucks to sedans to motorcycles.

In school, I took out books on cars from the library and studied them, along with books on instruments and music. I gained knowledge in both, which helped me grow into a skilled mechanic and musician at the same time. Two very different hobbies that I have taken up.

I get a good amount of pay. It's plenty for me. I don't eat much, and many of the toiletries at home are provided by Roxie. She's a woman who can't go without those things, and bless her for that. New clothes can wait. And many other things I wish to have are small and cost little to nothing.

After work, I go home and clean up. The oil and grime from the cars has to be scrubbed off the skin on my hands and face. And today, my long hair found some gasoline. I shower under scalding hot water, not even flinching at the pain it inflicts.

I return to the living room after I am dressed in my usual clothes. Roxie and Jasper are on the couch cuddling and watching some television show.

"Mail's on the table," she tells me.

I fetch the envelope addressed to me and take it back to the bedroom where I can read it in privacy. I open it carefully and hold my breath when I pull out the letter.

April 21, 1990

Dear Johnny,

I don't understand. You have me so worried, so afraid because you won't return any letters. But I'm sure I'm just overreacting. You're fine. You're happy with your music. I just miss you.

You can probably guess things aren't good here. I'm not going to complain to you about it anymore, though. I'm sure you get the point. It's hell in this household. Absolute hell.

It's hard when you're on your own, I realize. You understand me, I'm sure, because I can see that you've been lonely many times. You were alone throughout your journey to Hollywood. I know now how you felt.

Except I have people all around me, everyone who used to be so kind, so caring, that are now treating me like a piece of shit. They look at me and scowl and become so disgusted that I feel disgusted at myself too.

But I shouldn't complain. I won't. Don't worry about me, Johnny, because I'm alright. I hope you're doing well. I hope you have a band and you're playing clubs and halls. I hope you're happy. I'm very, very happy for you because you deserve to be happy. You deserve it more than anyone.

I really do miss you a whole lot. I think about you everyday.

Yesterday I stole L.A. Guns' tape Cocked and Loaded from a guy at school. He doesn't know where it could've gone. And he doesn't suspect me, who talks to him very nicely a lot and looks like an old mother.

I love their song Magdalaine, and I like that name very much too. Do you like it? It's a very neat song and a very different name.

I love you.

~ Mary Ann

Reading her letters feels like I've just shoved a silver stake through my heart each time. I'm causing her so much pain, and that is causing me pain. I don't want her to be hurt. I want her to be happy and cheery and joyous as she is meant to be.

I can't help but wonder why the people around her are abusing her. She is so lovely. Why would anyone want to pick the white feathers from a dove?

And she's changed. I have changed her perspective, her actions and the way she thinks. Hell, she's stealing and swearing. But I didn't do any of those things while I was in her presence. I was sure to behave.