Family Man

Chapter 22: Family Man ~

Our friends are supposed to visit soon to see the baby. A while ago, I talked on the phone with Roxie, who seemed very excited, and my brother, who was very modest and sincere, but in a good way. He told me he was proud of me. For what? I didn't give birth.

Mary Ann lays on the bed with our beautiful daughter in her arms. After a nap, she says she's ready for visitors and really won't mind any. I just hope Magdalaine won't be disturbed by a few people entering and exiting and talking and wanting to hold her. Maybe I should just let them come in and see her. I'm sure she won't want to be handed off from one person to the next.

"I have to go to the bathroom, Johnny," Mary Ann says.

I stand up from my seat and gently pick up my daughter. Mary Ann vanishes into the bathroom as I sit back down.

I'm back in my clothes. My bracelets are on, my hair is hanging over my shoulders and my hat sits upon my head. Delicate Magdalaine is wrapped in a blanket and wearing a white onesie and a fresh diaper. She's got this light pink beanie over her head to help keep her warm. She looks up at me with bright blue eyes, just like mine and Mary Ann's. She's got beauty as radiant as her mother's.

I don't think I've ever thought of myself being in this position with my child in my arms, singing a softer version of her song to her. Maybe I thought about being a father before I knew Mary Ann was pregnant, but never have I expected to get this far. I'm sitting in a hospital after watching my girlfriend experience nine hours of labor. I'm holding the beautiful being our love has created. I truly couldn't be any happier as I am right now, quietly signing Magdalaine her lullaby.

Such a tiny nose and lips. Such small fingers and toes. She really is so ethereal and lovely. She's a happy, healthy little child with chubby cheeks and an already beautiful smile. I love her.

Mary Ann returns from the bathroom, smiling as she climbs back into the bed and looks at me and Maggie. I smile back at her, hoping to let her know I'm very proud of her and so very happy that she is the mother of my child.

"I love you."

"I love you too, Johnny."

Magdalaine giggles and pulls at the rosary around my neck, which must have shifted when I did and caught her attention. She latches onto it and looks at me as she grins.

I replace the beads with my finger and let her hold that. It's probably much safer, though I don't know what a newborn baby could do with a rosary. Luckily, she still smiles with those beaming blue eyes on me. I can't help but smile back at her.

"You're going to be a great father," Mary Ann says to me, catching me a bit off guard.

I sure hope I will be. I'll do everything in my power to be the father Magdalaine deserves and the partner Mary Ann deserves. I'll do it for them. Because they are entitled to have a protector and a guardian that really, truly cares about them.

Soon, my brother, Athena, Alexandra, and Brian walk in. They all congratulate us and tell us how beautiful Maggie is.

"You made a pretty one," Alexandra says and snaps a picture with this old Polaroid camera she's got. The snapshot of me holding my little baby slides out of the camera.

Athena appears as though she's on the brink of crying. She looks genuinely glad everything has gone well and that the baby is doing just fine. And my brother is all smiles too, already calling himself uncle Davey. Brian gives me a pat on the back after I give Magdalaine back to her mother.

"How's it feel to be a dad, old man?"

"It feels...good." That's all that I can say. Really, I feel a lot of things currently, but yes, good is one of them.