Chapter 1

CHAPTER 1

"Bright Young!"

I stare at my shoes.

A working student's worst nightmare: getting scolded by her boss for she accidentally slept late because of some exhausting school project causing her to be late for her job.

I wanted to say, Blame my teacher, then, Ma'am Carolyn, but I'm to shy to do so. If only I was braver...

"What is your excuse, young lady? I am one step away from firing you!" Ma'am Carolyn was the scariest boss among all the bosses I've ever had. She looks intimidating with her pouting red lips, blond hair pulled into a tight, sleek ponytail, and electric blue eyes behind the small, square-shaped glasses.

"I...I...d...didn't...because I had a school... p...project..." Curse you, Bright, and your stupid stammer.

"Whatever, Miss Young. I am giving you one last chance. Otherwise you are OUT! Understand?" Ma'am Carolyn looks at me with disgust.

"Yes, Ma'am."

"Good, now get started. I have a special guest coming at the party. I don't want my venue and catering service to be humiliated by one single employee."

"Yes, Ma'am," I sigh.

I walk over to the door where I knew all other employees are eavesdropping.

"Quick!"

"She's coming out!"

I open the door to face my fellow workers with expressions of pity on their faces.

My best friend, Grace Perkins, pushes through the small gathering to comfort me.

"That Madam!" Grace exclaims. "Always scolding you!"

"You know what?" I say, trying to put on a big smile. "Let's prove her wrong. Come on, we have to decorate the venue."

"Tut tut, little Bright looks as if she's gonna cry," Sophia Gardner puts in.

I didn't see why she was here, anyway. She was Ma'am Carolyn's friend's daughter, always nosing in on the drama we employees undergo everyday. She looks like a mini Ma'am Carolyn, except she has no glasses and her blond hair is tied into an elegant French braid.

"Shut up, Sophia," Grace growls.

Grace and I are complete opposites. She's brave, I'm not, so most people respect her more than me.

"Whatever, Greasy," Sophia snaps back. "I can't wait for the party. Carolyn's got a special guest coming."

Grace winces at the hated nickname. "Oh yeah? Who is it?"

"How should I know? So you'd better polish yourself up, Greasy. Don't want grease marks all over the place. And tell your friend over there to-" She smirks. "-Brighten up."

"I'm going to tear her apart," Grace says angrily, after Sophia left. "I'm going to feed her internal organs to my dog."

Yup, Sophia deserves all that.

"WHAT'S GOING ON OVER THERE?" Ma'am Carolyn's voice seems to shake the whole building.

All of us exchange panicked looks and hurry over to the big ballroom to get it ready for the party.

Me, Grace, and eight other employees are I charge of the streamers. The others are responsible for the tables, chairs, stage set-up and balloons.

"So, who do you think the guest is?" Grace asks me, gesturing for another streamer.

"I don't know," I say, handing her a streamer while firmly holding the ladder Grace is on. I am mortally afraid of heights (Grace isn't) while she is afraid of the dark (I'm not).

"I hope it's a guy. Remember Stuffy's cousin?"

Stuffy is Grace's secret nickname for Sophia.

I look at Grace for a moment as she puts up the banners. Stuffy's, sorry, Sophia's cousin was okay. He wasn't really my type, he was one of those buff, blond idiots who loved making girls faint.

"Yeah. He was an idiot."

Grace pales. "No! He was hot."

I laugh at Grace. "Whatever."

Of course Sophia's cousin might notice Grace. She was very pretty, with her gorgeous auburn curls and emerald green eyes. That was why people usually got drinks from her because she was so noticeable.

Me, on the other hand, was the most boring person you could ever meet. I was a bit shorter than Grace, with straight shoulder-length plain brown hair. I had brown eyes and freckles. I wasn't ugly, mind you, just ordinary, plain, and downright boring.

Suddenly, the two big doors of the ballroom opens slightly and a head pops out from behind.

I am probably drooling right now at the sight of the amazingly hot guy behind the doors.

"Hey," he says, not to anyone specifically. "Do you guys know where Carolyn is?"

I want to answer. I really do. But my tongue seems to have twisted into a knot along with my stomach. My voice is gone. Nobody else wanted to answer.

"She's in her office," helpful Grace answers confidently and the guy smiles.

"Oh, thanks," he says. He closes the door and my tongue unravels once again.

I am so lucky to have a friend like Grace.

"Who was that?" My best friend demands. "He's so hot, the room might have burst into flames."

I smile weakly. "Grace, you already have a boyfriend. But I agree. Yeah."

* * * * *

SO WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK? DO YOU LIKE THE COVER OF THIS BOOK?

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE

VOTE

COMMENT

AND FOLLOW THIS GIRL!!!!!

I WILL GIVE YOU A LIFETIME'S SUPPLY OF ROASTED MARSHMALLOWS IF YOU DO.

OOPS. I CAN'T BECAUSE THIS IS JUST THE INTERNET. *EVIL LAUGH*.

LOVE YOU GUYS SO MUCH!!

-LivingInTheCity

* * * * *