Part 6: Gold

Hermione's Pov. 

"Ron is it even possible for you to chew with your mouth closed?" I ask and Harry and Ginny laugh. Ron tries to swallow quickly to retort but ends up choking. I sigh and wave my wand muttering "Anapneo." which clears the piece of pumpkin pastie lodged in his throat. 

"Of course I can Hermes." He says grinning at me once he finished coughing. I chuckle at the smile he gives me. 

"Well, I can't wait for defence against the dark arts this year, I heard from Kingsley that a man called Ivan Lanos is going to be our new Defence against the dark arts teacher." Says Harry sounding enthusiastic. 

"I wonder if he's going to be able to stay for more than a year," Ginny says. 

"Tom Riddle's dead now the curse jinx thing on the job should be lifted." Answers Harry. 

"I don't know if it would be lifted on his death," I say standing and reaching for my trunk to grab one of my many books on curses. 

"Merlin Hermione sit down. We're not even at school yet and you're trying to put your nose in a book." He says and Harry and Ginny laugh along with him. I sit down again slightly annoyed but laugh along with them all the same. Ron's arm swings around my shoulders and I cuddle closer to him. Harry and Ginny get up and push the sliding door open. 

"Where are the lovebirds off to?" I ask teasing. Harry goes bright red and Ginny elbows him. 

"We're going to find Nevile and Luna." Replies Ginny trying to keep a straight face. 

"Just remember that's my sister Harry," Ron calls after them as they leave. Ron and I chuckle and Harry's expression of fear as Ginny takes his hand, leading him out into the corridor. 

After some time the lady with the trolley had been passed for the second time and Ron had eaten a whole meal. He's sitting sideways on the seat with me sitting on his lap our limbs entangled.  

"I wish you were head boy, then I wouldn't have to deal with Malfoy at all," I say looking up into his blue eyes. He strokes my hair thoughtfully. 

"Why do you think he was even chosen?" He asks. 

"I think McGonagall wanting to set an example. If the head boy and girl are in Slytherin and Griffendoor then that shows that we can put all the past rivalry behind us." I reply. 

"I don't think it'll work." He says and I laugh. Then we hear a loud thump out in the corridor followed by several muffled voices. Ron and I get to our feet and peak out a gap in the door. We see Malfoy on the ground Crabbe, Goyle, Nott and Pansy standing over him. I am about to walk out into the hallway when I find Ron in my way.

"We should do something," I whisper to Ron but he shakes his head. He takes my arm and leads me back to the seat. Over the next few seconds, I hear what I can only assume to be Malfoy's screams. 

"He's Malfoy Hermione we shouldn't care." Says Ron after silence has filled the corridor. I'm about to speak when Ron leans forward and kisses me.