addiction

3-10-18

This entry was prompted by the song
How Could You Leave Us by NF

The song/music video tells the story of how the artist (Nate) lost his mom. His mom was addicted to pills almost his whole childhood. He lost her eventually to an overdose.

The reason I am writing this is because I relate to this particular subject heavily.

As few people know this situation is one I deal with currently. I am the child that is losing her parents to prescription painkillers. I, myself, am a witness to how these drugs affect both my parents thinking and overall way of life. How they often value a high over their childrens happiness and well being.

I have three siblings. Two young brothers are eight and eleven. A younger sister at sixteen and myself seventeen.

My mom has been addicted to pills for almost nine years now. My dad has started more recently around four years.

Being nine years old and seeing your mother always drowsy, sluggish, and struggling to do normal everyday tasks without taking an absurd of time to complete them is difficult for a young child to understand. When you're that young you shouldn't have to know and deal with that real life struggle. Not needing to worry if my siblings and I will get to eat dinner that night without one of us girls needing to make it.

It only got worse from there. By my teen years my parents were unemployed (still are) and still addicted. They'd buy, sell, and up dosages as much as they could to fuel their unhealthy habit.

Last year was probably the hardest year of my life. In April 2017 we were evicted from a house we had been renting and were homeless till about November of the same year. That time was spent on the homes of toxic family members and family friends couches.

We're now in a new home with my grandma's for anyone whom it may concern. Our situation hasn't changed much other than that.

That's all I think I wanted to say so thank you to those that cared to read this far. If you relate to this situation or have another of your own or maybe you just wanna talk feel free to send me a message or we can chat on the comment section.

Thank you for reading. Life will get better just keep a little hope.

Until next time.

-AG