03; berlin

Mitch and Janina had to act like they were a married couple and Mitch already felt terrible. After three hours of a ten hour flight they had been asked how long they were married and why they decided to go to Berlin. Mitch let Janina do all the talking, which was a smart idea because she already had an entire story planned out.

According to Janina they had just gotten married and Berlin was their honeymoon. It made him think about Katrina. If she wouldn't have died they would probably be married and his life would've been so much different. He would've had a small job and she would be a teacher. These thoughts made it even harder for him to focus on looking like a married couple.

"Mitch, are you okay?" Janina asked with a worried look as she noticed his distracted look and he let out a heavy sigh, avoiding her gaze. "Yeah, perfectly fine Jan." He said and faked a smile. Somehow it was hard for him to lie to her which even confused him more.

It was nightime when Janina had fallen asleep, her head against his shoulder. He just sat there quietly, staring at the tv that was playing a random movie he didn't even understand because he hadn't followed the plot. Mitch never really liked movies, he found them unnecessary, he thought reading a book was way better for the human mind. He removed his eyes from the small screen and looked at Janina's small body.

She had her legs on the chair, propped next to her and she held her knees close to her. Mitch wondered how that felt comfortable. He suddenly noticed her shivering and slowly moved to grab a blanket which sat on his lap and gently threw it on her, the large blanket covering her entire body. It made her look even smaller. A small grin formed on Mitch's lips as he watched the girl sleep peacefully. It made him happy that one of them was having a good rest. 

And then he stopped himself. He couldn't believe himself, he was looking at a different girl. Someone who wasn't her. Who wasn't Katrina. He never, ever, looked at a girl and thought about her like how he did about Janina. Not after Katrina's death. What made her so different? Why did she have this effect on him? He barely even knew her. It scared him but it also felt so good. So right.

He decided he had been creepy enough by staring at her and decided to put another movie on, one he thought he would understand but he only ended up falling asleep after twenty minutes.

——————————————————

"Mitch, wake up. We're in Berlin." Mitch heard someone say from far away and he groaned, slightly moving his shoulder. He didn't want to get up. He felt someone shake his shoulder and another groan escaped his lips. "Mitch, come on." He finally recognised the voice as Janina's and his eyes shot open. "Finally, get up." She said and he squinted his eyes at the bright light that came from the windows.

"Yeah, yeah." He snarled and got up from the chair. He grabbed their hand luggage and waited for Janina to follow him out of the plane. They thanked the flight attendants for their work and when they left the plane Janina immediately grabbed her phone.

"Shit." Janina mumbled as she saw she had missed seven calls. They were all from John. Mitch saw the name and frowned. "Who's John? Boyfriend?" He asked her and Janina started to laugh. "Nope, my brother. I forgot to tell him I was out of town for work." She said and dialed his number.

A heated argument followed after she heard John had broken into her apartment with the weak excuse that his girlfriend broke up with him. She allowed him to stay there until she would be back from work and hung up. 

"That sounded like trouble." Mitch grinned and Janina glared at him. "Shut up, Rapp. He just needed a place to stay, that's all." She said and put her phone in her bag. After their check-up at the border customs they waited for a cab. 

"Does your brother work for Hurley?" Mitch asked and Janina nodded. "Yeah, but Hurley doesn't trust him with jobs like these. He's more of a back-up sniper." She said and brushed a strand of hair out of her face. Mitch noticed a scar in her neck which went from her ear to nearly her shoulder. He frowned but decided not to ask about it. He of all people knew that scars could bring terrible trauma with them.

After waiting for a cab for ten minutes they were brought to their hotel,  a big and fancy large hotel with expensive chandeliers and fancy looking people. Mitch didn't feel comfortable in his denim jeans and jacket. Mitch looked confused when Janina held his hand but realised they were supposed to be a married couple. He shrugged it off and followed her.

"We have a reservation for the Abraham's."