10; let's talk

Once the doctor had checked up on Janina and had explained to her that she needed to stay for at least an extra night while giving her medication, Mitch had sat down in the chair next to her bed again. He couldn't help but still be worried about her even though again, the doctor had explained that she was going to be perfectly fine.

"Okay, thank you," Janina said to the doctor before he left, sitting up completely straight now. Her body was aching and her hands were shaking lightly, but she managed to do it by herself. "You don't have to stay here to keep an eye out for me, Mitch. I'll be fine," she spoke, reminding herself that she was angry at him. 

Her words made Mitch sigh out of annoyance, yet he understood why she wanted to get rid of him. "Look, I truly do understand why you feel like this. I really do, but please give me a chance to explain things. I'll tell you everything that I know, about your dad, about the whole case. I promise." he said, giving her a weak yet gentle smile. He was glad to see that she complied and he nodded, sitting down on the edge of her bed. 

"Okay. So your dad has been working for this terrorist group. We believe he is based somewhere in Russia." Mitch started, making eye contact with Janina. "Do you remember what the German said yesterday? It was all true." he sighed, running a hand through his hair. "Your dad didn't just disappear, Nina. After everything that happened with your younger brother, the German kidnapped your father to get him to make weapons for him. We believe that he has created a significant amount of bombs for the German. Once he didn't need your father anymore, he sold him to a friend of his." 

"The Russian terrorist group?" Janina asked Mitch, sighing when he nodded. "The leader of the group paid a large amount of money to get your father because he has a lot of knowledge about bombs. He can create them, disarm them, all that type of stuff. But there is still one thing that confuses me." Mitch said, looking at Janina again. "I know you saw him today, in Berlin. He was responsible for the attack, and your father obviously knew you were going to be there. We have no reason to believe he's working against his will now, sources said that he has a higher ranking in the terrorist group. But why would he attack you? You're his own daughter, and because he isn't working against his will, why would he try to kill you?"

"He must've been forced, Mitch," Janina spoke with a quiet voice, her eyes focused on her hands. "He would never, ever try to murder one of his children. I'm sure of it." she clenched her jaw, clearly trying to process everything that Mitch said. "I need to find my dad. I need to find him and get him to safety, but I can't do it alone, Mitch. I need your help." she finally made eye contact again and bit her lip. "Please."

"You know that Hurley won't accept it, right?" he said, hesitating before taking her hand, squeezing it lightly. "But I'll help. Hurley needs to accept that this is your father we're speaking of, and it could also lead us to the Russian group. So technically we're still focussing on the mission." he nodded, a weak smile on his face. "Get some rest now. We'll think of a plan later."

"Call John, my brother. He would never forgive me if i didn't ask him for help on this, so he should come here. I'll book him a plane ticket later." Janina said, still trying to process everything that was going on. She knew her father was incapable of killing her, so she didn't understand the need for the Berlin attack. Yes, she understood that he was trying to stop Hurley's group from finding him but he must've known that Janeya was on the team. 

"Nina, I'm sorry. I'm not asking you to forgive me for lying and for breaking your trust, all I'm asking for is a chance to show you I'm sorry." Mitch whispered, his voice filled with emotion. It took Janina by shock to hear such emotion coming from Mitch. They had gotten closer during their mission, but she hadn't expected him to show his vulnerability. It didn't only surprise Janina, it surprised Mitch as well. Ever since their mission, his feelings had been so confusing. He didn't know what he was feeling and why he was feeling these things. He didn't know why he hadn't run yet, because things started to get complicated.

"Don't ever lie to me again, Rapp. I'm serious, don't ever. You're one of the only people that can help me right now, and I want to be able to trust you. So just this once, I'll forgive you. But don't break this trust again, or it won't ever be fixable again." Janina finally found the courage to look up at him again and she gulped, feeling overwhelmed. "Now call my brother and explain what's going on, I'll rest."