Chapter Six

*********************************************

This is a rare time when I'll post a note before the story, but I felt it wise to do so. This is a heavy chapter and may be a trigger for those who have lost a child due to a miscarriage. I'm pulling from my own emotions that I went through (scratching the surface more like) when my wife and I lost our first child several years ago. It is a common, yet a very painful thing, and I want you to know you're not alone in it.

The 'song' in this chapter is something my sister poem that my sister wrote for my wife and I after our loss, and I decided to use it here to share with you all.

Now, on with the story.

*********************************************  

Fo.A 2, April 6th

The air seemed to have been sucked out of the Hall, replaced by the wails of Arwen as she lay on the floor. Cries reverberated and compounded upon each other until that was all that could be heard.

Faramir couldn't wrap his mind around it.

Aragorn felt as if he had gone deaf, the only thing ringing in his ears was the last words Arwen had uttered: "I have miscarried our child."

He felt as if he was a stone, unmoving and unfeeling; trapped in a void from which there was no escape. Until he heard it: the shattering cries of his wife.

Aragorn starred numbly down at his wife, then rising from his throne, he walked as if in a dream towards her. How could he have thought for a moment she would have betrayed him? That she could have been with another man? How had he missed his wife's pain?

I have miscarried.

He sank to his knees beside Arwen, unaware of the tears flowing down his cheeks, and scooped up his crumpled wife into his arms, holding her close. As his mind began to clear, the full force of the pain came with it. I have miscarried.

Aragorn threw back his head and let out an agonizing yell, as only a father who has lost can do, before succumbing to the pain and weeping.

Faramir stood frozen in place, his heart breaking at the sight of his king and queen undone before him. He saw the guards bow their heads in respect, their tears landing on the marble floor with a soft plip-plop. Not even they, battle-hardened soldiers, could hide their emotions.

Tachion started humming softly, then began to sing.

I may not have been with you long,

So I'm sad to say farewell,

But you'll be happy to know, it's in Eru's presence I dwell.

Even though our time together was short,

I still know how much I was loved,

and now I'm watching over you from above.

So look to the skies, 

feel the warmth of the sun,

dry your eyes, 

be still and know I am safe,

because I am surrounded by Eru's amazing grace.

Until we meet again, face to face.

With each word, it seemed the sorrow grew more profound, but at the end, it lifted the spirits of all who were there.

Aragorn and Arwen's tears subsided until they were merely holding each other, afraid that if they let go, they would fall apart all over again.