Fate Brings Mishap

Dustin-Lee stood by the seats where Carol Lynne, his younger sister sat carving a whistle with her Swiss army knife, on the floor beside her sat a bagful of little objects she had carved. She started whittling with bars of  soap at the age of six. Michael-Ray sat in the seat beside her, his head rested on her shoulder. He was flipping through one of his scout magazines, he was currently reading on navigation. He looked down at the compass his father had given him when he began scouts three years ago. He sighed and closed his book. He often thought of his father, and if his Uncle Mike would be anything like his Dad.  How could a small flame turn into a raging fire that took two lives so quickly? He just didn't understand. Dustin-Lee was lost in thought. Was this a smart move? Would living with uncle Mike and Aunt Sarah be a good idea? What if he could do it... What if he could take care of them? He could get a job, get a cheap apartment. It could be enough couldn't it... What if Carol-Lynne and Michael-Ray didn't want this... All he could think of was the what if's. Their aunt and uncle had charted the plane for them to fly strait through, over the Pacific ocean to what would be their new home.

The pilot checked the instrument panels and placed the headphones over his ears. He listened to the forecast on the radio system. Despite the dark clouds that had appeared overhead, all was said to be safe. He started the engine of the small plane. The pilots white and golden brown Akita laid at the feet of Michael-Ray. "Fasten your seat belts kids," the pilot ordered as he started the take off.

"Are either of you hungry?", Dustin as he paused and looked to Carol-Lynne and Michael-Ray. "We have some granola bars and water in my backpack." Michael-Ray shook his head as he pet the beautiful dog that now had it's head rested on his lap. Carol-Lynne murmured a no as she carved off the last details of the wooden conch shell whistle.

"I wonder if Uncle Mike and Aunt Sarah would let me get a dog... I really like dogs." He continued to pet the fluffy animal.

The three sat in their seats, tending to their own tasks. Carol-Lynne was sanding  the whistle she had completed. Micheal-Ray was reading up on knots. He liked knot making almost as much as he liked fire starting. Dustin-Lee was looking out at the ocean, and in the distance he saw a small group of islands. There was one large island, two smaller islands, and one area of land that probably disappeared at high tide.

Suddenly a flash appeared in the windshield, the clouds became a dark raging storm. Thunder blasted through their eardrums. Carol-Lynne covered her ears, she didn't like loud noises, her hearing had always been very sensitive. The speed of the plane increased as the plane started to shake, as turbulence increased. Hailstones the size of golf balls began to pound on the plane. They pelted against the glass, and as flashes persisted to appear periodically the pilot reached for the radio. Before he could call for help lightning struck, Dustin-Lee reached and tapped the pilots seat as the flash shattered the wing of the plane, splintering it into tiny pieces, as if a missal had exploded. 

Dustin-Lee knew what was happening, and he felt so hopeless. He wanted to protect Carol-Lynne and Michael-Ray desperately, but he knew, right now, there was nothing he could do. 

The pilot attempted to make a smooth landing on the beach, but the landing wasn't as he hoped. He had lost all control of the plane as they reached fifty thousand feet. "Kids, this is very important. You have to listen to me. Bend forward and form pillows out of your jackets and put your head forward in your laps. I'm gonna try to land." The pilot continued to attempt to send an SOS, in hopes that someone was hearing him on the other end. "Mayday, mayday, we are crashing. I repeat, mayday, mayday, we are..."

The plane skidded along the smooth sand of the beach, leaving trench like marks along the surface. The nose of the plane crashed into a tree, causing the control mechanism of the small plane to disengage, making the pilot scream out in pain before complete silence.