Chapter Four ~ Hogwarts

The boats bumped into the shore softly. Scorpius, Albus, Eliza, and I got out while staring up at the towering castle. I shuddered in intimidation. All eleven of us bunched up in a tight knot as we walked towards the castle.

It wasn't cold, but we were all shivering. I continuously looked up at the stars, which filled the sky. Eliza took my hand, and I grasped it tightly for support.

Hagrid rapped roughly on the large door. Hardly a moment had passed before it was pulled open, revealing a disheveled young man who was straightening his robes. Hagrid didn't have to say this man's name for me to know who he was, his aura said it all. "Professor Longbottom." I gripped Scorpius' arm and shook him roughly, excitement bubbled in the pit of my stomach — my fear was replaced with joy instantly.

We followed Hagrid and Nev — Professor Longbottom into the castle. "There's seven less'n last year, Hagrid." The Game Keeper nodded. Professor Longbottom continued. "Minerva's getting on in her age . . . this must be hard on her. She's been through too much." Professor Longbottom sent a glance back at us and edged closer to Hagrid. All of the first years scooted closer as well.

"I was reading the Prophet yesterday . . . and it said a formerly impersed ex-Death Eater admits to having his faded Dark Mark itch and burn again . . . like it did when You-Know-Who was still in power." Scorpius and I shared a look. "What do you recon it —" Professor Longbottom cut off noticing eleven pairs of eyes watching the conversation intently. "We'll continue this over dinner." He whispered.

We walked for a few more minutes in silence. When we finally stopped, loud talking could be heard from inside the closed doors. Hagrid continued through without hesitation as Professor Longbottom stood in front of us. "You are about to be sorted into your houses. There is Gryffindor, Ravenclaw, Hufflepuff, and Slytherin. Know this: it does not matter necessarily what house you are in, but how you let it influence you. None of the houses are bad. All are full of intelligent, athletic, and kind people. Their's no need to be ashamed of your house or you being in it."

He drew a breath and looked at Albus. "Word of warning; do not pay attention to what your brother does . . . he's worse than the Weasley twins." He added offhandedly, rolling his eyes as he pushed the door open, revealing the Great Hall.

My mouth opened as I glanced at the ceiling, which was drowned in stars. There were less students than I had imagined, but then Hagrid and Professor Longbottom's conversation came back to my mind.

We all inched closer to one another as we approached the stool which bore the Sorting Hat. It had more patches than original stitches. A seam near its mouth opened.

"I've done this job for centuries
On every student's head I've sat
Of thoughts I take inventories
For I'm the famous Sorting Hat.

I've sorted high, I've sorted low,
I've done the job through thick and thin
So put me on and you will know
Which house you should be in..."

I gulped. What did it matter if I was sorted in Slytherin or Hufflepuff — the very two houses I dreaded being in — as Professor Longbottom had said, "None of the houses are bad. All are full of intelligent, athletic, and kind people."

I shuttered as the hat, once again, opened its mouth. "Craig Bowker Jr.!"

A moment later the hat shouted, "SLYTHERIN!"

"Polly Chapman!" A girl walked up nervously.

"GRYFFINDOR!"