14

I tossed in the sheets of my bed, feeling the coolness contrast with the warmth of my skin. It left goosebumps throughout my arms and legs. 

*KNOCK KNOCK*

My eyes slowly flutter open, even though I had slightly woken up I wasn't prepared for company. "Come in." I muttered with a raspy voice. I slowly raise my body and hold myself up with my forearms. My body feeling heavier than usual, I lean on one arm to rub my eyes to wake myself up. The darkness outside confuses me, I feel like it should be morning. As the door opens, I check my phone.

3:13am

I raise an eyebrow in confusion as I see my father in the doorway with a frantic look on his face. "Evelyn," he began as he took large steps toward me, "Evelyn sweetie I need you to wake up." 

"Dad, I'm awake. What's up?" I say with concern flooding my thoughts. 

"You need to come quick, Ethan's in the hospital." I blink several times trying to depict if this was a nightmare or real life. Unfortunately, my chances of this being a dream were incredibly thin.

I fully prop myself up with my hands and lean against them for support. My head becoming slightly dizzy, I decided there were things I needed to know.

"The hospital? Why?" 

"He was hit by a drunk driver. We need to leave now if you ever want to see him again." 

Wait what?

"Dad- what's happening?! Is he going to die?" My stomach grew a pit that felt like it was sucking in all of my insides, which would explain my trouble breathing if it was actually happening. I jolted out of my bed throwing the sheets to the other side and grabbing whatever clothes laid on top of the covers, which ended up being my clothes from yesterday. My head was throbbing and my stomach was twisted. I felt like I was going to puke up everything I had ever eaten in my life right at this moment. 

I ran around my room frantically looking for anything I would 'need', but I knew damn well what I needed was lying in a hospital bed 3 miles away from me dying by the second. I heard the car starting outside and I knew it had to be my mom, because my dad was in the living room slipping on his shoes. I couldn't think straight, even for a minute. All I could think about was yesterday; how he held me and told me everything was going to be alright. The kiss, the feeling, everything that made me truly happy again would soon be the last time I ever got to experience it. 

I rushed to the car as my Dad locked the front door. My mom in the co-pilot seat unlocked the door for me to get in the car, then rushed in my dad. "Ready?" He called out to the both of us. My mother nodded as I stared out the window, hearing pitter patters of rain drops hitting my window. I couldn't bare this. 

My legs shook the whole ride there- every second felt like an eternity. I scroll through my text messages to read everything we had ever talked about, craving to hear from him again in this very moment- JUST to know that he was alive and okay. I scroll through my contacts as I dial Grayson's number. My legs continue to shake as I realized my whole body was. It kept ringing over and over again. It won't stop. Grayson for the love of God please pick up.

"Hey its Grayson! Sorry I can't get to the phone right now but leave a-" I hung up the phone and dialed his number again. "Hey it's Grayson!-"

I hung up again and continued until I started to call Lisa. 

"H-Hello?" I hear a voice shutter from the other side.

"Ms. Lisa, it's Evelyn-"

"Evelyn, honey, where are you?" My chest caved in and I found myself giving in to the temptation to bawl. Tears poured out of my eyes and I couldn't stop them. The heaviness rested in my chest and my head, a ringing could be heard in my ear.