2. On the Road

My hands reach over to my phone on the bedside table to silence the blaring alarm signaling it was time to wake up. Today was the concert. We had to wake up at 8 because it takes two hours to get there. Elizabeth is coming to get us at 10 because she stayed at Michael's, but I need at least two hours to get ready and pack. We would be staying the night at a local motel.

I rose from my bed with a struggle. The covers were beckoning me to stay, my pillow calling out to me to come back, the blankets shedding tears at my dismissal.  "I know, I'm sorry I have to go. I'll be back soon." I muttered quietly to my bed.

Carmen was in the bathroom taking a shower already. She's always been an early bird. This is her usual wake up time. For me, I like to sleep the day away and party all night. I guess you could say I'm nocturnal.

I swing open my closet doors revealing my large wardrobe. Today was going to be hot, so I grabbed a pair of black high-waisted shorts, a Vans tank top, and some fishnet tights. As soon as I shut the closet doors, the shower door opened spilling steam into the hallway.

"Good morning!" Her cheery voice rang throughout our little apartment.

Out apartment was quite cozy. There were 2 bedrooms, a full bath, another full bath in the bigger room, a living room and a kitchen. And a little balcony branching off of the living room. Elizabeth and I shared the bigger room while Carmen had the other room. It worked to my benefit because Elizabeth was barely here.  

"Morning!" I shouted back to her. She walked through my doorway entering my room. Luckily I was still dressed in my pajamas.

"What are you wearing today?"

"Just some high-waisted shorts and a simple crop top." I held up the outfit for Carmen to see.

"Cute! I'm thinking of wearing my daisy duke shorts and a cropped tank top. Do you think Luke will like it." I laughed softly at Carmen.

"Yes, he will love it. You'll be attracting the eyes of every guy there. I don't understand how you just ignore all these boys who obviously are dying to talk with you. You've been chasing Luke forever. Make him jealous!" She brought her finger up to her face and sat there in thought.

"That's actually a good idea Ashlyn! Thanks for the advice." With that she left the room. I laughed again at how naïve she was. How could she not notice all these boys running after her?  She was beautiful.

After shutting the door and plugging in my music, I began my process of getting ready.

                                                                     **********

I check the time again. 9:47. Perfect timing. I was done getting ready and packing. My hair was in loose waves. I had a few bracelets in, but not much. My makeup was normal, thick black winged eyeliner and mascara. I studied myself in the mirror. Honestly, I looked pretty good.

My feet carried me into the hall. I knocked lightly on Carmen's door. I didn't even wait for an answer before walking in.

"Hey, how do I look?" She was standing in front of her mirror fixing her hair. Her hair was in a cute messy bun, her makeup was minimal, and her outfit went perfectly together.  Her head whipped around to look at me. Her eyes looked me over as she nodded her head.

"You look amazing! And how about me?" I asked and gave her a thumbs up. "I got some muffins for us last night. They're chocolate chip. Want one before we go?" I didn't even answer before sprinting into the kitchen.

There was a pack of four muffins sitting on the table. Carmen knew me well. I peeled off the lid quickly to devour the delicious treat. Carmen came walking in and grabbed one herself.

We quickly ate the delectable treat, me finishing way before her. Out phones binged softly. We both got up and checked, seeing a text from Elizabeth saying she was here. We both grabbed our bags and slid on a pair of shoes then ran out as fast as we could.

Elizabeth and Michael were waiting in his car with music blaring, the windows down, and 4 other boys crammed into the back seats. We were always the last people picked up, which meant we always got the back row to ourselves. Thankfully Michael had a large suburban to fit us all in.

Once we opened the door, we were overwhelmed by music and talking. Niall got out so Carmen and I could get into the back. Once we climbed back, I noticed that there was an unwelcome visitor in our section. Ashton.

"Hurry your ass's up and sit down! We have to get going!" Michael shouted back at us. Carmen, being the wonderful friend she is, sat in the middle to separate the two of us.

"Now let's get this show on the road!!" Niall shouted out. I broke out my phone and headphones, already annoyed by him.  Niall was always the loud one in the group. He probably was that one kid who would ask "Are we there yet?" When he was younger.

I inserted my headphones, entering me into the world of music. I clicked on my Playlist titled Elizabeth. We all had a playlist with our name a on it on each others phones. Elizabeth's playlist had a lot of songs by the artist we were seeing today, so I figured I may as we'll learn some songs to sing along to.

A/N: picture of Ashlyn's outfit on side