Chapter 14

Evil laughter filled the air of the Great Palace. The cloaked figures shivered in fear, and glanced at each other, with wide, terrified eyes. The laughter grew incessant, and eventually it started to grow insane. The laughter ceased, and the one who was trying to catch his breath back, smiled to himself.

"Ah, Alexandros.. Stupid fool.." the voice hissed, making some of the figures crouch back. The figure had just received news that Alexandros was in fact, a traitor. He had been killing off the most elite and valuable Guards of his. And no one got away with that.

"Indeed, my king," a bold voice said, stepping forward. "He is indeed a fool, and will be punished as soon as he's caught--"

"No!" the voice spat. "I heard he went to the New Land. America, was it? He was safe there, but my sources said he went back early. With someone... Someone most likely important to him. Alexandros is a cold man, boys. He kills mercilessly. Too bad he joined those puny, wretched elves, and centaurs."

"Yes! Too bad," mutters of agreement and insults flew around before the evil voice slammed down a scepter, and yelled.

"Silence!" the voice's eyes roamed around, and the dark smile returned. "We'll find Alexandros. Persuade him. If that doesn't work.. find the person he took, and bring it to me. We' see how persuasive we can be by then."

Recluse then started chuckling madly. His followers, the Vampire's Guards, joined in too, and soon enough, the whole room had started laughing. Recluse crossed his legs, and grinned. He'd find his son--the rightful heir to his throne, the Vampire Prince--with, or without Alexandros' help.

***

Akrios was so full, that'd he'd probably explode. Perennial had been making him more food that he could swallow, but of course, being the nice person he was, Akrios ate all of it, and Perennial was still making more. He smiled a bit as she came back with more, and said, "Perry, I'm gonna explode if you keep this up. I think I'm good for now."

Perennial nodded, and vanished the food away, popping back to wherever she went went she wasn't tending to Akrios, and Alexio. Akrios looked over to Alexio, who was watching with amusement. "Hey, stop laughing!"

Alexio really couldn't help it, and he kept laughing. "There's food," he gasped for air, gesturing at the boy's hair, "in your hair!"

Akrios frowned, and reached up to grab the food. Eggs. Scrambled egg, to be specific. He popped them in his mouth, happily, but scowled as Alexio continued to laugh. Akrios crossed his arms, pouting.

Alexio managed to quit, and regain his breath. He opened his mouth to speak, as a hurried knock on the door stopped him, and made his face freeze. He put on an unemotional mask, and told Akrios to hurry to his room. Akrios was confused, and a bit scared, as he had never seen Alexio like this.

"Go! Hurry. Do not come out until I call for you." the seriousness in Alexio's tone was enough for Akrios, and he finally obeyed. Watching Akrios go upstairs and head into his room, Alexio walked to the door, wondering who it was. He knew it couldn't be him.. Probably one of his minions. As long as they knew nothing of Akrios, or the Naga.. The Naga--it would lead suspicion, and make the vampires wary. Akrios.. It gave him chills to think of what Recluse might do to the child if he ever found out Alexio had him under his care. He approached the front door, the walk he had just taken feeling like years, but it had only taken a few seconds. He opened it.

***

Akrios was pretty nervous as he sat on the edge of his bed--an actual bed--and kicked his feet absent mindlessly in the air. He wanted to go talk to Hython. The Naga had always made Akrios feel better. Akrios remembered that day. The day Hython actually told him his name. Alexio said Nagas were secretive, and that they never spoke, and if they did it was rare, but Akrios liked the little Naga, and he always chatted with him whenever he could.