Chapter 9

When Akrios yawned for the third time, Alexio dubbed it time for bed, and stood up. Akrios changed into his very comfortable pajamas, hugging himself. "They're so comfy!" Alexio smiled. They put the cards away, and Alexio sat on the bed mimicking his actions as he did last night. He looked at Akrios, wondering if the boy would cuddle up again. Said boy stopped his self hugging, and practically jumped onto the bed, and got under the blankets next to Alexio. He looked up to the man after he got settled. Akrios wordlessly cuddled up to him, and smiled as the man wrapped his arms around the boy, and he decided he really liked hugs, and no matter how old he got, he'd always ask for one.

He yawned, closing his eyes as he hugged Protector tightly to his chest, smiling. Akrios thought he had finally found his real protector as he said "'Night, Alexio."

"Good night, child." Alexio mumbled, carding his fingers through the boy's hair slowly. He smiled sadly to himself. 'Oh Katherine. I hope you and Josef are happy, wherever you are. I believe I am, having this child in my arms. I'll make him better. Happier. I'll protect him. I'll ask him to come with me; live with me. Hopefully he'll say yes, and I shall adopt him legally. Hopefully.' Alexio felt extremely nervous, just like he did when he asked Kitty to marry him.

Alexio closed his eyes, his hand stopping its' gentle movement. He fell asleep rather quickly, which was good for him, since he felt so nervous, he might have thrown up. He and Akrios both dreamt pleasant dreams that night.

***

Akrios woke to the sound of someone shuffling around, mumbling to himself, and occasionally stopping to groan in frustration. He sat up, and rubbed at his eyes, yawning. He then noticed that Alexio wasn't snoring- sleeping beside him. "Alexio?"

"Yes?" Alexio asked, his voice muffled. "I'm packing, child. It's my last day here, and I'll be flying back to London at noon." Alexio walked back into the main room; he had been in the kitchen currently. He smiled at Akrios. "I'm almost done with packing though."

"Oh." Akrios said softly. He was terrified. He didn't want to go back to his aunt and uncle. He felt panic rise within him, his stomach revolting, and his tongue lay heavy in his mouth. He tried hiding it, and was apparently successful, because Alexio kept on with his packing. The boy didn't know what to do. Should he just run away again? He couldn't go back to them, and he couldn't stay with Alexio. He was positive Alexio wouldn't want a 12 year old, worthless boy. He'd probably go to his own house, and take a 5 hour long shower to get the touch of a worthless beggar off him.

Alexio sat himself on his bed, heaving a sigh, and smiling at Akrios. "Done. Finally." Alexio noticed the boy lookingat his hands, and frowned. "What's wrong, child?"

Akrios looked at him, then he looked back at his hands, squeezing them into fists. "Where do I go?" He spoke this softly. So softly, in fact, that had Alexio not been brought up as he had, he would have missed the sentence entirely. Alexio grabbed the boy's hand gently, as his nails were digging into the boy's bare arms.

"You could stay with me if you like." Alexio said softly, gently. He cupped the boy's chin, and pulled it up, making the boy look up at him. Alexio watched as the boy's eyes shimmered with unshed tears, and he quickly reached up to wipe at his eyes. "I'd have to become your legal guardian, which would require papers, and your current... Guardians' signatures, so as not to get in trouble with authorities. It means you'll live with me, until you leave, and I will gladly take care of you till then, though I will have to tell you certain aspects of living in London with me."

Akrios was too busy trying to get his smile under control. He was finally going to get a real home! By the end of the day, too! He felt his panic recede, and a bubbly happiness fill up where it was. "I c-can?" He asked, looking at Alexio with wide eyes. He wanted- needed- to make sure he wasn't pulling a prank on him, and he'd call the cops any moment, and they'd get Uncle Garret and Aunt Jess. He wanted to make sure. Absolutely sure.