Chapter 19

Alexio finished his story as he repeated it to Dux, leaving out the bits with his boy. Dux, the Greater Good leader and mortal human, sighed, "This is not good. We must fight back. Resources have said they plan to attack at sometime. We don't know where, when of on who. Be wary, men. Be alert."

Dux was an elderly man, having wrinkles around his eyes, and greeting hair. He was a human. Nothing less, nothing more. He stumbled on this place in havoc, and soothed it, earning his new name, Dux, and ditching his old one, Daniel. The Centuars and Elves respect him, but everyone else doubts him and ridicules him.

Dux dismissed them, thanking them for the information, and telling them to relax around here. "You need it," he said with a smile.

Alexio brought his hand up to his eyes and cupped it so he could see more clearly. He dropped it, asking Emulatio, "Where're the kids now?"

"Fountain, maybe?" was the reply.

They shrugged. It was a start, and both men weren't too concerned, as this place was probably the most safest area in all London. They walked over, and saw the children relaxing on a bench, pointing at various things and then giggling. It was more Prae who was giggling, and Akrios who was pointing. Hython joined in from time to time, but rarely, as far as Alexio could tell.

They sat nearby, so the kids could continue their fun. Alexio watched them carefully, then leaned back, and crossed his legs, assuming a relaxed position. He was still alert, though. "Hey bird," he said, looking over to Emulatio, referring to the first part in his name, Emu. It was an old nickname Alexio had thought up when they were younger. "We should train the kids in self defense. It couldn't hurt. Just have them know where to kick, and punch to get away."

Emulatio agreed, "I'm always worried about her. What about the snake?" He was a bit wary of the Naga.

"When I bumped into them when they were running from that monster, he was more worried about Akrios, so I think that Hython will be a good asset to Akrios in protection, and hopefully Prae. I'll teach him how to harness his powers." Alexio said, his eyes trailing back to Akrios.

"Great." Emulatio sighed with relief. "We'll teach 'em separately, and then teach them how to work together, yeah? We need to teach them quickly; we have no idea when Recluse is coming."

They got up, walking over them, Alexio the more careful of the two. Akrios turned and his face lit up, but he quickly schooled it, glancing around warily. Hython patted him on the head, giving him a pointy-toothed grin. Akrios smiled back, even if it was just a quick one. Prae got up and embraced her dad, who ruffled her hair.

"Save the news for when you get home," Alexio said waving a hand. "It'll be easier to answer the separate questions."

Emulatio nodded, and they made the kids say goodbye, blinking them away to their rightful homes.

***

Akrios stumbled when he landed on the carpet, but was caught by Alexio. He squeaked with fear and quickly pulled away, and stumbled again, falling forward. He got up, brushing himself off, and turned to Alexio, head bent and eyes on the floor, ears burning with embarrassment, "S-Sorry about that, 'Lexio."

He still saw Fake Alexio. The one who hit him, kicked him... Just thinking about it made Akrios shake with fear. He looked up when he heard the soft reply, "It's alright, child..."

Alexio cleared his throat, and gestured to the living room, and they all walked, or slithered their way to the couches. Akrios sat down carefully, and watched Alexio ease himself down as well. He waited for the news the older man had to say.

"Emulatio and I have decided you two need to learn how to defend yourselves. I'll be teaching you, Naga, how to spit your venom, and hold enemies with your tail in a death grip. I'll also allow you to have knives, or whatever your choice of weapon may be. Akrios," he said, eyes trailing over to him.

Akrios stiffened a bit, but he listened. "I'll be teaching you how to fight back, and defend yourself." Akrios nodded seriously. "You both will need nutrition, so Naga, join us at the table if you wish from now on." Hython nodded. After all, it was better than eating alone.

"Alright, then. Lets get the basics down." They went into an unused room, and began to practice the basic techniques of fighting.

***

When it was dinner, Alexio made Perennial make the boys have a nutritious building meal, so that they'd gain muscle and be able to strengthen them. They ate without protest, and Akrios was happy to have a new eating buddy.

It was 8 in the evening of Early November, and Akrios was growing tired. He could hardly concentrate on what Hython was telling him. "Huh?"

"I sssaid you should go to sssleep, ssily nesst-mate." Hython hissed, poking him in the ribs.

Akrios giggled a little, yawning afterward. "What's a nest-mate?"

"A ssibling, I think you call it." Hython said.

"So you're my brother? Awesome," Akrios smiled sleepily, poking Hython back. Akrios looked over to Alexio as the older man called his name.

"You should go to bed, sleepyhead."

Akrios crossed his arms, "I'm not 8!"

Only in size. He thought coldly.

"You'll pass out, soon." Alexio said wisely, smiling a bit.

"Fine by me." was the reply.

A while later, Alexio heard Hython hiss with displeasure as Akrios dropped off, and promptly fell into Hython's arms. Alexio stood, and picked the small child off of the Naga. "You should sleep as well, my friend."

Hython nodded, and slithered away and up to his room, bidding Alexio a goodnight. Alexio sighed, looking at the small child who was sleeping in his arms. Akrios snuggled to Alexio's chest. It had been about 5 months since the boy had crawled into his hotel window. Smiling at the memory, he took Akrios to his bedroom again, still not sure if the boy was able to sleep in his room. He was pretty sure awful stuff happened in there.

Sitting in bed with his boy by his side, Alexio pondered if he should wake up Akrios. His own question was answer as Akrios started whimpering in his sleep, gripping at Alexio's clothes in fear. He shook him awake quickly, holding the scared boy tightly.

"Wake up, Akrios!" he said fervently, shaking the boy. He wouldn't wake though, and all Alexio could do was hug the boy tighter, and set his own head on top of the head of messy hair. He felt his eyes burning with frustrated tears, and swore angrily.

He waited out the kicking and screaming, rocking them both comfortably, and trying to wake him up. Akrios' eyes finally snapped open, and he screamed with terror. Alexio held him still, not moving. Akrios calmed, and turned towards Alexio's chest, crying.

"Don't ever go 'way, 'Lexio." he sobbed.

"I won't. I will never leave you, ever. Never leave you."

***

"Hey, 'Lexio. Why do they call buttons, buttons? Why not circle-snaps?" he asked, leaning against Alexio's chest and fiddling with him snapping buttons. Akrios looked up curiously at his pillow, and was rewarded with a smile.

"No idea. It sure is catchy though; circle-snaps." Alexio commented. "I have to ask you something. It's very important, and you must listen carefully."

Akrios nodded seriously, squaring his shoulders. "I will."

"How would you like it if you were under my care permanently?"

"Aren't I already?" Akrios asked, confused. "I thought you were my guardian."

"I am, I am. I was wondering if you'd like to be my son?" the question was asked carefully.

Akrios blinked. Then blinked again. "You mean, I can call you Dad, then?"

"Whatever you want."

Alexio was smothered with little boy hugs right then, and he smiled, and hugged Akrios back. He was finally going to have his boy all to himself.