Sandals and Sunshine

The plane touched down and jolted me in my seat uncomfortably. I was chilled from putting my nice, warm blanket away before the seatbelt sign was turned on for landing. The lady that came around with food and drinks had been really nice to us both the whole way. She thought it was cute that I wanted to colour in my book instead of eating dinner.

Edmund was kind of pissed at her though. Mostly because she brought me extra dessert and refilled my drink without me having to ask her to. He said I was flirting. I said I was just naturally cute and people wanted to do things like that for me, so it wasn't my fault. Besides, I had never been on an airplane before and wanted to make the most of it. Too bad we couldn't sneak in the toilets. Edmund was too big to even try.

The lights went off and rather than rush to grab our bags, Edmund told me to wait and take my time. I watched others go rushing off the plane. Some people were even rude about it, jostling and shoving there way outside. Daddy just sat and read his book calmly in his seat. Once the majority had left, he got up and grabbed our bags from the overhead compartment.

The lady was really nice to him as we left and I just couldn't understand why he didn't like her. The heat hit me as soon as we stepped outside and I was distracted by the strange smells and sounds of the new country. It smelled like spices and green vegetation. The air felt thick to walk and breathe in. The people were the same and subtly different. They smiled and frowned, wore neat uniforms and watched us as we disembarked the plane.

We had to walk to the airport to collect our bags and go through security. It was sweltering inside, with no fans or air conditioning going. There was no point with all the open doors, windows and soaring roofs anyways. Some of the people who had hurried were now standing there sweating and waiting for the bags. They began to come out just as we leisurely strolled up, first class being put out before the others.

It took us very little time to get through security and then Edmund was arranging our ride to the resort. A private taxi left right away with our things stored in the back. The driver was amazing, weaving through traffic and helping us with our bags, for a generous tip of course. The front desk personnel were not very interested in us until Edmund gave our names for check in.

"Ah! Mr. Riley. Yes, of course we are very happy to have you here. Your parents have upgraded your suite to the master's cabin with full butler service. Your security man will be able to stay right in the same suite with you. We are pleased to offer you prime dining room reservations for your stay. Please let your butler know when you wish to dine and everything will be taken care of." The man tried to give Edmund and I different bands for our wrists and I scowled at him.

"What do you mean? We made reservations for a lakeside suite, not a master's cabin. This is not my bodyguard. He is my boyfriend!" I growled. Edmund clasped my elbow and shook his head at me. "What?"

"Relax, Brendan. I am sure it was just a misunderstanding. Your parents were just being nice. I hope. Let's just finish checking in and see where our cabin is." He smiled at the man behind the desk and whispered for me to go take a walk. I was still mad. They were ruining my first vacation with Edmund. I didn't know what they were up to, but I knew it was no good.

"Sorry for the confusion, sirs. Here are your proper bands for the resort. They will give you access to all the VIP areas as designated in your guide. Please enjoy your stay with us." He smiled at me and bowed slightly, so I smiled back and let Edmund put mine over my wrist. I got in the small cart with our luggage and listened to the man drone on about the resort as we went to our cabin.

Edmund did not have to get our bags, as the man who drove us took them inside and then another man in a uniform took them into the bedroom to unpack. I saw the two men exchange words and a glance, and both bags were taken into the master bedroom together. Daddy tipped the man who drove and then told me to get into my bathing suit so we could swim.

I was distracted by discovering the cabin they had given us. It wasn't small. There were two formal rooms with beds. There was also a den with a television, and an office room with a computer and accessories like a printer. The master bedroom was huge and had a little nook for eating, but that wasn't the best part. The whole wall was windows with flowing curtains looking out onto the beaches.

I was drawn to the patio like a moth to the flame. It was beautiful. This was why we were here. This beautiful, serene view of the ocean spread out before me. I wanted to swim in it, watch the sun sink over it, see the moon rise above it, and spend this time relaxing with my Daddy. I smiled really big and turned to see him finally caught on to what I was distracted by.

"If you get changed, we can go down and have a swim right away." He whispered into my ear as he stepped in behind me for a squeeze. His face tucked down onto my shoulder and I nodded quickly as he nipped the skin there.

"Okay. I'll go first." I grabbed my trunks from the carry on and slipped into the large bathroom. The room sparkled in the sunlight as I slipped out of my clothes and into my swim wear. I was momentarily seduced by the huge tub and massive glass shower, but slipped out and grabbed my towel as Edmund went in to change as well.

"Ready to go?" He asked me as we both stood watching the water from the room.

"Yep." I replied. I hopped in place as Edmund gave the butler instructions and locked our valuables away. Then we left, keycards in pockets and towels over our shoulders, for the beach. I ran the last few metres as I saw it coming closer. That wide expanse of water just waiting for me to jump in. The sand gave under my feet and was hotter than I expected.

The edge was still warm, but the wet sand began to chill from the water lapping at it. It was not shallow enough to be completely warmed through, and the coolness was like a balm to my feet burned by the sands that got into my sandals. I let it flow over my feet and giggled excitedly.

"Idiot, give me your towel before you soak it accidentally." Edmund growled at me playfully. I handed it over and he threw them on our beach chairs a few metres away before joining me. "Ready?"

"So ready." I said with a grin. We both charged forward into the water. I was laughing at the splashing water and the fact that I was almost half way across the world, playing in my bath. I splashed Edmund and he charged at me. I squealed and ran in the opposite direction, but he grabbed me and dunked me in the cold water.

I came up spluttering and spitting the gross water out. He was laughing at the face I was making. I splashed him again and he pulled me close against his big body. His forehead touched mine and the taste was forgotten in an instant. I knew that look. I loved that look. It was simple and perfect. It was me being loved.

Maybe this vacation wasn't ruined after all.