chapter 1 (Edited)

Chapter 1

You return home from work. You changed out of your clothes and sat at the edge of your bed, completely exhausted. You were so tired dark bags formed under your (e/c) eyes.

It was late, the sun disappeared hours ago whilst you were working your shift. Sometimes you wish to work during the day, until mid-afternoon, instead of the usual night shift.

If I keep wishing to work during the day, and never ask my boss, it won't happen, you thought bitterly. I need to woman up with some of that positive mental attitude!

The sound of something vibrating drags you away from thought. Checking the screen, you groaned when a familiar name appeared.

"Why call me this late?" you frowned.

You answered, "I just got home from a busy day at work, and you're calling because..." You were a bit harsh, but you had a good reason. After all, you just got home.

The other line was quiet for a minute before a voice spoke. "I was calling to ask about your day."

You sighed, regretting ever snapping at him. "Look, Ethan. I just got home and I'm very, very tired. Couldn't you have called me, like, tomorrow?"

"Well, it couldn't wait. I won't be home tomorrow. I'm going on tour with Mark, Tyler, Bob and Wade."

You forgot Mark was doing his You're Welcome Tour, and Ethan was leaving with Mark and his girlfriend, Amy Nelson, early in the morning to catch their flight. You felt slightly stupid.

"I forgot you were going on tour with them," you muttered. If you were to ask Mark if you could join them, Mark would answer with "maybe next time," or "it's full."

"Who knew you could be forgetful!" Ethan laughed. Hearing his laugh brings a smile to your lips.

"Shut up," you gave a pout. "Anyways, sorry for interrupting. You were saying..." you trailed off, allowing Ethan to continue before you-so-rudely interrupted.

"Oh, well..." Ethan stuttered. "I was thinking about streaming over on Twitch. Would you like to stream with me? You don't have to. I mean, you did get home and all."

Before you gave him an answer, you check the time on your phone. It was a quarter to eight, and you haven't eaten since early this morning.

"Sure!" you answered. "But I must warn you, I haven't eaten anything this morning. I'll join once I have something in my stomach." You heard a quiet "yes!" and rolled your eyes.

"Okay! I'll leave you to it!" you heard him chirp in delight. You couldn't help but laugh. "Message when everything is said and done."

"Alright," you replied, getting to your feet and headed for the kitchen. The line goes dead, and the house is silent once again.

Typed: March 20, 2018
Edited: September 3, 2020