Chapter sixteen: Off Switch

Natalie

"It's her fault!" He shouts as he points at me.

"I..I'm sorry...I just wanted to talk to her." I whimper, scared. Papi never got like this.

He keeps on pressing and fiddling with the machines, repeatedly saying "No, No, No.."

The tears start to form in my eyes and soon roll down my cheeks. Mommy tries to calm him down, but it doesn't work. He whirls around and looks at me with so much hate I didn't recognize him as my father. My breath hitches.

"You! You! You demon child! How could you do such a thing!?" He comes closer and closer.

"Papi..I.. I'm sorry!" I try to move back, but since I was against the wall, I couldn't. I wished the wall could swallow me up at that moment.

"Mi amor, please calm down!" Mommy tries to hold him, but he just yanks her away.

"You're evil! Pure evil!" He hissed before going into a fit of Italian curse words.

I shut my eyes and hope that he'll stop but he doesn't...

"Papi, stop!" I found my self screaming.

Breathing heavily, I looked at my surroundings. I was at my apartment. I buried my face in my hands. Not again,I thought.

I searched for my phone under the blankets, I noticed that I had quite a few messages. Then I noticed the time. I double checked it on the digital clock on my bedside.

I was late for work.

"Oh dear God!" I rushed into the shower, got dressed and brushed my teeth and hair. Not bothering to make my bed or eat, I left.

When I arrived at work, everybody was going about their business as usual. I huddled in and found Rudaine at the reception table typing away on his iPhone.

"Hey!" I breathed.

"Girl, you're an hour late." He said without glancing at my direction.

"I know." I plopped my purse on the counter. "Sorry for the trouble, I know you probably have some other work to do."

"You've got that right," he pouted and finally looked at me. "But you can make it up to me."

"Where exactly are you going with this, Rudy?" I eyed him.