The Desk

The Desk

April 25th 2018
In a small coastal town in Canada called Bright hope, people especially young women flocked to a small book store for the reading and signing of latest love story by Jack Lissing called "Til Time Calls the Heart." As Jack saw mostly woman and married couples cheering for him when he enter the store headed to the book stand. He was amazed in how nearly an instance everyone would be silent and as he began to read the prologue of his book
" God's apostle Paul Said Love never fails it has patience and kindess that never dies"
Jack pauses for a moment thinking about Elizabeth Thatcher wondering what she was doing now all he could see could his was the image of her that sadly would never see again sighing as he proceeds on with his reading.
"For me time and love transform me that time had no barrier between the love I had for a woman named Elizabeth Thatcher. The love that began for me on April 25th 2017. When I a bought a desk. A Desk I thought was oridinary and normal But the desk waa truly a gift that transfixed time for me showing what love really came to mean to me. He stops reading to reveal his drawling of the desk. The desk that changed his life forever.
April 25th 1850
Jack Thornton was standing by his horse waiting his fiance Elizabeth Thatcher to be done from school. He could not wait to give her birthday present. Jack smiled see to his Elizabeth with his previous gift; the cow bell as she put to good use as she rang loud and proud to dismiss her students. After hanging the cowbell she rushes and flings into Jack's Arms kissing him.
After the kiss He wishes his Elizabeth,
"Happy birthday, Elizabeth"
"Oh Jack, I knew you remember not so many men like you are good in remembering dates."
"Well I am one of a kind."
"Yes, you are." She gives quick kiss on his lips as could not wait to ask him,
"So Jack? What do we have planned for tonight?"
Jack smiled knowimg she was going to ask,
"Well. your present Is waiting at home for you, as I am cooking dinner for you for a change and I thought why not take a walk or have a dance or two under the stars. By the way no formal wear required. You look beautiful just the way you are the future Mrs. Jack Thornton."
He kisses her life her up onto his horse as they ride back together on horseback to Elizabeth's house. Jack takes her off his horse and leads her inside the house.
Jack instructs her, "Turn to your right."
And Elizabeth does so she sees a big red cloth covering something big she walks of towards it looks at Jack with excitement and he tells her,
"Go ahead, uncovered it."
With one big swoop Elizabeth lifts off the cloth to see large writing desk. She was amazed by Jack ' gift she hugs him and he chuckles
"I am guessing you like it then."
" Like I love it, but Jack could you afford something...so"
He presses one finger up against her lips tells her,
"I don't want to hear any that of money talk, I am well enough to give my future bride a gift for her brithday. Besides think of this gift for the both us. For me to draw and for you to write which God has blessed us with the talent."
Jack removes his finger, he notices a note on the desk thinking it was a note of sale for the desk but it was telegram for Mountie dispatch he sighed in worry knowing that he was being summoned
"Jack... What is it ... "
" I have been assigned to go back. "
Elizabeth trying not burst into tears, " The northern territories ..... When"
"In two days" replies
Elizabeth cries "Oh Jack" Jack rushed towards kisses her passionately as their lips part he pleads
"Not tonight... I won't leave tonight today's is your tonight and I am keeping the way it is."
She smiles kisses him tells him, "Can we skip dinner, tonight, I am not hungry. Can we take the long talk or have the dance under the stars instead?."
He says nothing takes her hand. Before leaving leads her back to the desk and tells her
"This is our desk the desk you will write to me everyday and everything I need to know of you and hope valley and our future together. Promise me that you will keep writing to me and that you will wait for me. And I Promise to draw where I will be and what I will see"
Elizabeth turns To Jack hugs and whispers in his ear
"I Promise"
After the promises were made Jack and Elizabeth walked and danced under the stars till the sun rose up and it was time for Jack to leave with Elizabeth with hope and the promise of his return.
April 25th 2017
A year before publishing "Till time calls the Heart"
Jack Lissing was holding hands with his then Fiance Rosemary they were window shopping for their new apartment and pending wedding in 3 months. When Rosemary saw the reflection of old fashioned satin wedding gown as window dressing she squeals pulls Jack inside the shop. They entered the shop rosemary eagerly looking for anyone who can help her in getting the gown. As rosemary was trying find a salesperson, Jack looked around the shop full of antiques. After few minutes of browsing Jack eyes turned to an old fashioned desk.
Jack could not explain it or describe why he was drawn to such a desk made out of oak with closed casing. Jack stroke the desk feeling the finish felt a strange feeling that he saw this desk before. He was in trance looking over every inch of the desk. Jack was so lost in his trance that he was startled by old female voice saying
"Beautiful isn't it"
Jack turn seeing the old woman he reply, "Yes it is how old is is this."
"About 170 years old."
" Wow really, amazing, my name is Jack lissing, are you the owner. " taking his hand to shake her hand
"Yes, I am, Abigail Spencer"
" Nice to meet you Mrs. Spencer; my fiance Rosemary Devoe is looking you. She has been eyeing your beautiful wedding gown. "
Jack calling for Rosemary that she found the owner. Rosemary rushes to Jack's voice and sees him with the old woman, she squeals
"Finally, madem hello, I am Rosemary Devoe, this is my fiance jack. I just adore your dress at the window here I am willing to pay top dollar."
Abigail sighs, "This dress; I am sorry it's not for sale it was my mother's i just use as window dressing nothing more."
" Why do that ? " Rosemary sighed "Put a beautiful dress like that and not wanting to sell please I am willing to pay a great deal."
"Rosemary please" Jack insisting for her to stop. Abigail again adamant in her decision.
"I am sorry but no sale, but I am willing to sell you the desk for a reasonable price."
Rosemary Confused, "Desk?. What Desk?."
Jack shows her the desk, "This desk; It Is About 170 Years Old."
Abigail added "It was originally own by Elizabeth Thatcher the first teacher Of Bright Hope Previously Named Hope Valley back in the 1850's given from her Fiance sheriff and Mountie Of Hope Valley Jack Throrton."
Rosemary Said, "That's Sweet"
"What Happen to them...Jack and Elizabeth?" Jack asked
"I don't remember. Sorry my old age. I can't remember some things." Abigail answered
Jack asked, "How much are you asking?"
" 500"
" 500! For a desk? "
" A rare special desk, " Abigail added
"I will take it!" Jack said
"Jack!"
" Rosemary, I need a desk for my work and besides this will be my groom's gift. One item checked off the wedding list. "
"Alright fine, we will take it."
Abigail said, "Great choice, my grandson will deliver it to you tomorrow."
Rosemary takes Jack's Hand leaving the antqiue shop but some reason he could not keep his eyes away from the desk.