26

I alive guys. I did not die. I've just been really overwhelmed these past couple of weeks. Hope you guys enjoy this chapter!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

    I frowned in the mirror as I stared at myself. The bruises were slowly disappearing. Today's the day of my grandmother's funeral. I was not ready and neither was my mother.

    Part of me was hoping that I'd receive a phone call from Mitch but I never did. It's been over a week since I last heard from him and I was not feeling heartbroken about it. I was now angry.

    There was a knock at my door. I walked to it and opened it. Stan stood outside dressed in a suit.

    "You ready kid?" He asked.

    I looked down at my black heels. I heard him sigh and felt his arms wrap around me. I hugged him back tightly.

    Come on Tiffany. You gotta keep it together. I have to keep it together. I pulled away from him and looked up at him.

    "I'm ready." I mumbled.

    That was a complete lie.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

   At my grandmother's funeral I figured there would be people holding my grandmother's casket as they walked her in. I thought it would just be my family, but no. Mitch was standing right in the front holding one side of her casket. My heart skipped a beat when I saw him and tears pricked my eyes.

    I clenched and unclenched my fists. I did not know how to feel about this. I watched as they set my grandmother's casket down. I stared at Mitch. He cut his hair and shaved his slight scruff. He was wearing a black suit. He looked at me with a sorrowful expression. He walked towards me and took a seat next to me. I froze. I looked at my mom next to me and saw that I couldn't move any farther. I looked up at the casket and at the pictures of my grandmother. There was one by herself and then others filled with family. My eyes caught sight of a picture that showed my grandmother and I. Tears pricked my eyes and fell down my cheeks.

    My grandmother was dead. She died in my arms. It was my fault. I could've gone to any other store in the world. But it had to be hers. My heart ached. Today I was burying my grandmother and tomorrow I was burying my cousin. Their deaths were on me.

    I felt a rough hand sit on top of mine. I immediately knew whose it was. As much as I wanted to push away my heart ached to be closer to him. My other hand grabbed his arm tightly as more tears fell down my face. He wrapped his other arm around me and I buried my face in his chest. I sobbed silently.

    "Sh, sh." He whispered while caressing my head.

    I nuzzled my head deeper into just chest.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

    Watching my grandmother's casket go down was so hard. Watching my mom cry because of it knowing that I was lying to her about the way she died was even harder.

    I stared at her tombstone. I heard footsteps from behind me. I turned my head and saw Mitch standing a couple of feet away from me. His hands were stuffed into his pockets and his eyes held sorrow and regret.

    "Why are you here?" I asked quietly. "I couldn't just not come." He answered back quietly.

    I turned around and stared at him.

    "I would've rather you not come." I muttered. He looked down. "I was so heartbroken. I lost my grandmother and cousin on the same day. I got home and had to tell my family bullshit lies on how they died. I was alone. I thought I'd have someone there to help me grieve but I didn't." I said sadly while more tears fell down my cheeks.

    I probably looked like one of those teenagers from a tv show. The ones who sob their eyes out and have makeup all over their faces. Yeah that was me right now.

    "I'm sorry." He said quietly. I almost couldn't hear him.

    Hearing him say sorry ignited a fire in me. How dare he?

    "Don't you dare apologize!" I snapped. "You know what you were doing when you decided to go almost two weeks without even saying a simple word to me! You knew the pain I was in yet you didn't stay!" I snapped.

    He looked down and I could see him clench his jaw.

    "You left me! You left me when I needed you most!" I yelled angrily. Tears cascaded down my face.

    Mitch looked up at me like he was in pain.

    "I'm sorry." He said quietly. I glared at him. "Sorry can't fix everything. Sorry can't fix what you've done Mitch." I said coldly.

    I pushed my hair back and crossed my arms against my chest. I walked away from him and he let me. Part of me hoped he'd stop me but he didn't. He let me go.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

I'm a horrible person 😭