Chapter 45.1

On the quiet fields, the train sped under the blazing sun. The vague hills in the distance undulate. No end appeared to the jungle.

In the train carriage, Xu Xu was calling Xu Yao: ". . . We'll reach Lin City tomorrow morning. You don't need to meet me, I'll be going to the station first to make a report. If there's nothing else, I'm hanging up."

"Wait a minute, are you all right? Did you get hurt? Was the weather there ok?"

Xu Xu said: "We'll talk more when I get back." She looked at her watch: "In 10 minutes' time we'll be entering the mountainous region where there will be no reception. I'm going to call Ji Bai now." With that, she hung up decisively.

That rascal! Xu Yao thought: There's still 10 minutes to go before the reception is lost, and she only spoke with me for 2 minutes!

When she called Ji Bai's phone, he was with several Interpol officers in a police car eating a packed lunch box. It was afternoon, when the crowded city was as hot as an oven. Since they had been busy the whole morning, sweat rolled on their backs, as they wolfed down their food.

Ji Bai closed his box. Without checking his caller display, he said: "Hello, this is Ji Bai. Go ahead."

When Xu Xu heard his low, mellow voice, her heart immediately felt at ease. "It's me."

The corners of Ji Bai's mouth unconsciously twitched upwards: "Is there something wrong?"

Xu Xu paused briefly.

The two had only parted in the morning, so there was really no need to call. However, she was idle today, and had unconsciously thought of Ji Bai several times. This was the first time she had ever experienced such feelings for another person.

Thus, she honestly replied: "Nothing's up. It's just that I miss you."

Her words were like a cool spring of water on a hot summer's day, refreshing to Ji Bai's soul. He suddenly remembered the previous night in the hotel room. Her pale, delicate body, as their skin touched. The intimacy and passion of their encounter made him temporarily absentminded and and did not speak.

At this moment, the other Interpol officers laid down their lunch boxes and donned their bulletproof vest: "Let's go, Ji Bai." The Kachin soldiers seated on the ground also picked up their guns and got up, ready to move out.

Ji Bai said softly: "I miss you too." After a beat, he leaned closer to the handphone screen, and gently kissed it.

When the other officers saw this, they laughed. This was the first time Ji Bai had ever done something like this, but he was not embarrassed. He put his phone away, smiled cooly, and got out of the car with them.

On her end, Xu Xu looked at her handphone as she sat on the pristine white bed dappled with golden light.

Her face was a little numb, and her heart was racing. She felt as if she had really been kissed......

——

After a while, Xu Xu walked to the train car nearby to eat with the other three Interpol officers. The criminals had all been confined at the back of the carriage, and the Kachin soldiers would not be coming to this side, where all the officers were. As the officers ate, they began to discuss the case involuntarily.

One officer said: "It's been so long, and Brother Lu hasn't been caught yet, damn it!"

Everyone was quiet for a heartbeat, before an experienced officer took a puff of on his cigarette and spoke: "It looks like Brother Lu has a backer in the military."

Everyone was momentarily taken aback. He continued: "That's my gut feeling. In Myanmar, what the military says goes. We laid down such a tight dragnet, yet Brother Lu was still able to escape. It can only be that she had help from the military in secret."