Yao Meng & Shu Hang Short Story Part 1.1

What kind of person was Shu Hang?

If one talked about family background, then Shu Hang's family was well-known in Beijing. However, no one in his family had held a government position for several decades. They had prospered in the business world. However, some people felt that the younger generations could not match up to the earlier generations, despite possessing more material wealth. In addition, Shu Hang himself had happily led a life of luxury* and been something of a playboy when he was younger. Now, 25 years later, he had a jaded view of the relations between men and women.

*纸醉金迷 (zhĭ zuì jīn mí) – lit. dazzling with paper and gold

Sometimes, he wondered what he was waiting for. He could not understand why he was reluctant to find a match aligned with his social status, or a woman who would be beneficial to him, and just marry her. What a joke! At his age, he was still not anxious to sell off his body.

Whenever he observed Ji Bai and Xu Xu, he honestly felt very envious – deep, heart-felt envy. Ji Bai, that arrogantly vital man, responded to Xu Xu's every change of expression. It really made Shu Hang want to marry him.

When would he ever have such a woman to love, so much so that life without her would be hopeless?

Later, someone asked Shu Hang why he liked Yao Meng. Shu Hang felt that this question was manifestly simple: First and foremost, she was his ideal type – beautiful, independent, and with a touch of sophistication and slyness, while beneath her cold and arrogant demeanour, a trace of fragility could be seen . . . However, the first time he laid eyes on her, he realised that there was something different about her. Her entire being was shrouded in an aura of mystery, tinged with a hint of sorrow. This made Shu Hang intensely curious, as he desired to investigate the cause.

Also, she had been a police officer. Shu Hang had never been in a relationship with a police officer, and thought it would be interesting.

However, when he first started pursuing Yao Meng, he had no idea that her story would be so explosive.

Shu Hang had first caught sight of her at the Full Moon celebration for Ji Bai's son, when he had been with a group of childhood buddies. That day, when his first attempt at scaling the mountain had failed, he had followed her almost the entire night. Ignoring his buddies who were all laughing behind his back, he carried his wine glass and strolled behind Yao Meng, looking the very model of a Beijing hoodlum.

He was not worried that Yao Meng would freak out. If someone like him – with talent, money, and good looks – took the initiative, while he could be branded a shameless rascal, ladies would generally not view him with disgust, even though they did not accept his advances. Indeed, it turned out exactly as he had thought. Although Yao Meng furrowed her brow slightly, and her face was a little flushed, there was no significant change in her demeanour.

After a while, he saw her conversing with the chairman of the Lin City Chamber of Commerce. He rejoiced, for this meant that she was also engaged in business! Of course, he discovered Yao Meng's net worth soon after, and felt considerably put out – he could no longer use his wealth as a means to attract Yao Meng, for she had loads more money than he did.

When he saw Yao Meng surrounded by a group of entrepreneurs, probably invited by Xu Jun, he smiled faintly to himself and moved closer.

"Mr. Shu."

"Young master Shu."

"President Shu."

When the people saw him, they naturally chorused solicitous greetings. Yao Meng's face remained impassive and indifferent.