Chapter Nine - Danger Lies Ahead

*Knock, Knock*

"Rita? You in there?" Veridia asked. There was no response. "Okay, I'm coming in..."

Veridia had never been in Rita's room. She only knew where it was. When she walked in she wasn't really surprised. Rita's room had light blue curtains reaching the floor with the window open. The view was of the ocean and beach. Her closet was closed, but her dresser had beautiful wood, a mirror, and the surface of it was covered in cluttered makeup and perfume. Veridia looked over to Rita's bed. The frame and head board were a white, painted metal with flowers wrapped around it. The covers were also colorful. When Veridia looked over to see if Rita was in bed, all she saw was a big bump under the covers. She confirmed it was Rita when she saw her leg and arm hanging off the bed.

"Rita!!!" Veridia shouted. "Time to wake up!"

"Agh!" Rita yelled as she fell off the bed from the interruption she had just received. "Ow... Veridia, what are you doing here?"

"We have just received a danger to the pod... We need to discuss it." Veridia said with concern as Rita attempted to get back onto her bed. She succeeded after the third try.

"What is it?" Rita asked groggily.

"Well... We have received rumours of a dangerous family of merpeople. They just moved here from somewhere up north. The Mediterranean Sea, in fact..." Veridia explained.

"How many times do we have to tell you?" Rita asked. "Mermen are no threat, except for Erik," she said the last part under her breath. "But a few mermaids and mermen can't hurt us."

"The pod disagrees. The family are VERY close descendants to a royalty in the Mediterranean. Aurora came from this family. She was outcast, but they all hold the same power." Veridia said.

"See, they're careful. I mean, they did break her off from the family." Rita said, but then she received a death stare from Veridia. "Alright. What do we need to do?"

"Well, right now, the pod is taking extra precautions. We set a curfew and caves are to be locked at night." Veridia said in a matter of factly way.

"Don't you think that's a little too far?"

"Maybe, but you can never be too careful..." Veridia said. Rita agreed with her...

"But, wait. Do I have a curfew?" Rita asked.

"I'm afraid so..."

"Unbelievable!! Veridia, I'm, like, 35... Why would you need to set a curfew for me!?!" Rita was really mad.

"Calm down. You just can't be in the ocean past the curfew. I am going to have to ask that you lock up the pool in the grotto at night, too... Okay?"

"Alright."

"Why are you still in bed?" Veridia asked.

"I, um, had a long night..." Rita said.

"Oh, no. You have that look in your eyes... You met a land boy, didn't you?" Veridia said.

"What look? A 'look' does not justify anything..." Rita said defensively.

"Yeah... You had the same look when you met Harry..."

This almost brought tears to Rita's eyes. She thought about him every day. It had been 11 years since he died, and she still couldn't believe she hadn't gotten over him.

"I'm just really stressed." Rita lied. "I know I have a job in the pod and the head teacher, but I need a job on land. I just don't know what I want to do..." The last part was true... Rita was originally the principal of Suncoast High until the mermaids accidentally used an instant growth accelerator on her. Weilan thought it was tea. Rita transformed into the 80 year old version of herself. The mermaids barely turned her back before she had the school interview as principal. When she got there, she decided to quit. She wanted to see all the world had to offer.

"Well, I guess that first to find a job is to think of what you'd like to do... You love teaching." Veridia said.

"Yes, but I don't want to get into teaching again... I wanna do something unique..." Rita said with a smile.

"Well, think about it... I wouldn't want you to have to move back to the pod..."

"Thanks, Veridia. That makes me feel so much better..." Rita said sarcastically.

"I'm just saying that you fought for this life. I don't want to have to see you throw it away..." Veridia said and then left.

Rita saw what she meant, but she had to make the most of her life. No matter the cost...