Chapter Thirteen - What Is Love?

It was 11 pm... Surely Rita was on her date... The doorbell rang and someone came running down the stairs. Struggling, considering she was wearing high heels she put away in her closet for quite some time...

"I've got it!" She yelled. She opened the door only to find Evie, Cam, Carly, David, and Zac... They were in their pajamas and they freaked when they saw the woman who answered the door... "Oh, it's only you..." She sighed...

Weilan came running down the stairs after her, "Rita!? I thought you were on your date..."

"Not yet," Rita murmured, disappointed... But James did say that he was going to pick her up at 10:30. Rita went back to the kitchen and sat at the bar. She touched the rim of the cup James had drank from the last week. She hadn't got to cleaning the kitchen. The teenagers who appeared at the door headed towards the grotto with Ondina. Yet, Weilan headed upstairs only to find Rita with her eyes closed and holding a white tea cup close... She wasn't exactly in her happiest mood.

"Why isn't he here?" Weilan asked, concerned.

"Does it matter?" Rita replied pushing the cup away, shaking her head lightly. "We can't be together anyways..."

Weilan sat down beside her, "Why not?"

"Are you just that oblivious to your surroundings?" Rita asked dryly... Tears sitting on the rim of her eyelids... "Veridia has the whole pod on lock down and she warned the protectors of Mako about him... It's gotta be serious... And it's just another forbidden relationship."

"He'll still come... I mean, you look amazing..." Weilan complimented. Rita blushed. This was true. Rita looked radiant. It was simple, but she was wearing an emerald colored cold shoulder blouse tucked into black skinny jeans... Her high heels were green velvet, matching her blouse... And the laces were wrapped around her ankle... Her hair was lighter than usual, bringing out the red in it... She wore it upon her neck in a small bun with sea shells... She wasn't wearing makeup but her face gave off a glow... And nothing to say of her rings. Her moon ring on her right index finger with gold rings to match on the other fingers... The color of the metal showed which level of power the mermaid was at. It goes from silver, gold, to the most powerful of all... Ebony... There were only legend of mermaids obtaining an ebony moon ring, but nevermind that. There was a buzz on the counter.

"That's mine..." Rita said meekly as she picked up her phone. Her face dropped as a tear finally fell down her face...

"What is it?" Weilan asked...

"He's canceled..." Rita finally said, her voice breaking.

"Oh, I'm so sorry... Why?"

Rita took a deep breath... "Something important has come up... He can't avoid it."

"Well, at least we know that if he could avoid it, he would come." Weilan said.

"Alright. I'm going to bed." Rita said getting up and heading up the stairs. "And please... Don't blow up my grotto." Weilan promised not to.

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

There was an explosion... In the midst of it all, Weilan learned not to make promises she couldn't keep.

"I told you to add the algae last!!" Mimmi shouted through the smoke.

"No, you said kelp!" Cam yelled at her.

"I'm the teacher. I know what I said..." Mimmi told him sternly once the smoke cleared.

"Does it matter? They're the same thing..." Cam said, nonchalant.