Chapter Five

As I drove to his house, I couldn't help but get excited. This was my chance to spend time with Nicholas one on one! I pulled into his driveway and waited a minute before walking to his door. I rung the doorbell and a dog started barking. Nick opened the door, with a warm smile on his face. He looked handsome even though he wore a Henley and some jeans. He ushered me inside and closed the door while I removed my shoes. His black labrador started licking me excitedly.

"Good boy! What's his name?" I asked while petting him.

"Shadow, and he seems to like you." Nick replied

He didn't sound surprised so I felt flattered that I was an easy-to-like person. He gestured towards the sofa and I sat next to him.

"Can I get you anything to drink?" he offered.

"No, thanks!"

"Sorry if my living room is messy, I haven't invited people over lately..." he added.

"I should be the one saying sorry, I practically invited myself over!"

"Of course not, I'm glad to have you over!"

He smiled warmly then offered that we go for a walk in the forest.

"Sure."

I followed him out onto a small earthen path. We took in the scenery and the scent of wildflowers with happiness. The trees creating an arch in the distance. I playfully grabbed hold of his sweater and made a run for it.

"Hey! Bring that back!" he yelled.

As I stumbled across the forest ground, I heard him chuckle. He was close behind me.

"Aren't you kinda old to be running around like this?" I teased.

We ran around laughing like children. I tripped over tree roots a few times which made him laugh. It wasn't long before he reached me and we both took a break. He took back his sweater with a grin.

"We should probably get back."

I nodded. We stood on the balcony outside, watching the sun set. I turned towards Nick and was going to ask him what time it was until I noticed something.

"There's something on your cheek." I pointed out.

He rubbed it, trying to get rid of the dirt.

"Is it gone?"

"Nope."

"How about now?"

"Nope. Here I'll do it for you." I said as I gently stroked his cheekbone to take the dirt away.

His eyes caught mine and my heart rushed. He backed away and stared blankly at the wall. I looked at the clock and realized it was nine thirty.

"I have to go. Thanks for having me over."

He nodded distractedly.

"See you tomorrow!" I added.

"Yes... Tomorrow."

The next school day was uneventful. Nicholas and I kept casually glancing at each other during Science. That night, when I got back home, my mom greeted me with a hug.

"Serena, I'm going to the restaurant with Richard tonight. Will you please babysit your brother while I'm gone?" she pleaded.

Richard was my mother's new boyfriend. My father had left ever since I was seven so I didn't remember him very well.

"Sure, mom!" I replied.

She contemplated herself in the mirror.

"Do you think he'll like this dress?" she asked.

"Of course! You look gorgeous in it! Now, go get him girl!" I teased.

She smiled, calming down a bit. Although, she was visibly still nervous about her date. Before she left, she embraced Josiah and I. We waved goodbyes through the window. Since it was Josiah's nap time, I brought him upstairs and helped him put on his pajamas. When he lay down, I sung him a lullaby while stroking his soft, dark cheek. My white skin contrasted his. I loved my baby brother very much. His mother had been Jamaican and his father Somalian but I was happy that we had decided to adopt him. He was soon asleep so I crept silently into the living room and noticed I had a text from Nicholas.

Nicholas: Hey! You have anything planned for tonight?

Serena: Not really. If you're free too, do you want to come over to my place? My mom is going to be out for a few hours.

I hoped he'd say yes.

Nicholas: It's probably not a good idea. We might get caught! What would you tell your mom if she saw me in her house?

Serena: We'll pretend you were selling something and I let you in while I went to get cash.

Nicholas: Then you'll get in trouble for letting in strangers!

Serena: She won't be back before late!

Serena: Please Nick! Just this once!
Nick: It's not a good idea!

Serena: Please, please, please!

Serena: Pretty please with a cherry on top!

Serena: Come on! Pleeeeeaaaaassssseeeee!

Nicholas: Grrr! You can be annoying when you want to be!

Serena: Lol! So are you coming?

Nicholas: I give up... Yes, I'm coming!

Hey guys! If you like the story up until now, please click the like button, I would really appreciate it. :) Comments are welcome too.