13

There was a loud smash from within the house as a window shattered. Both of the other dogs stood immediately. Their ears listening, eyes intent on the back door, waiting for the disturbance to appear.

'Get off me!' Sam yelled out distressed, I lay watching, laughing to myself as I heard my owners fear. The three of us listened as a murmur of an unfamiliar voice spoke to Sam. Who in return shouted back at them. 'Ya fucking pigs!'

People came out the back door, they held weapons, hand cuffs hung at their belts and their hats sat proudly on their heads. I took one bleary glance at them and turned my head, making myself invisible to them. Hoping they wanted nothing from me. 

'Evan, Evan come here look at this.' I heard the female say. Then instantly calling on a device for back up.

'Oh, good Lord.' The man gasped.

I refused to look at them, begging mentally that I lived through another night.

I listened as their shoes tread across the dirt, the two other dogs rushed to them both with wagging tails, the people greeted them, speaking to them like they were equals.

'Get the Dog Squad in.' Evan instructed the woman, she spoke over her device and within minutes the property had been invaded by people in uniforms. Sam had been taken in the chains. A young man approached me, his eyes set on me as the other two were put on leads and lead out by other people.

'Is he vicious?' He shouted over his shoulder.

No one responded, but three other people watched as he approached me with caution. One stood with a gun, a memory shot through me upon seeing it, I saw that thing being used on a dog that had lost a fight. It had survived the fight but was announced loser and as punishment was baited to me, its muzzle taped shut while I tore into it's flesh, releasing the rest of my fury onto it, then when I stopped I was pulled away and I stood watching as the owner of the dog, stood baring a gun, pointing it at the dog who had turned away from me as I bit into it, and then it fell dead after a loud ear shattering yelp and two shots. The first shot had merely wounded it, I watched as the pain escalated through it's body for a few seconds before the second shot went off. I returned to the present at the touch of the man. His hand soft on my shoulder.

'What the hell happened to you?' The words were hard but his voice was gentle, and quiet, he must have thought I would break at the first loud sound. He was wrong. I growled deep from the chest, warning him off me. He took the hint and moved his hand away.

'We can't keep this dog alive.' He said. 'Euthanize this one, it's in a lot of pain and will not be suitable to re-home.'

'Should I just shoot it?' The man with the gun asked eagerness in his voice.

A woman whacked the man across the head and frowned. 'Have a care would you.'

'Well it's not going to let us lift it. It will bite us.' The man shrugged.

'This dog is all noise. There isn't strength in this dog to bite.' The man before me said, then he reached under me and lifted my body that was limp in his arms.

He placed me in the back of a van, my heart raced as I remembered the last time I had been put in the back of a car. I whined, I struggled and as the man held me down another filled a needle with some liquid.

'Don't harm him.' I heard a voice say from behind them. They both turned to see a small red haired woman, she spoke calmly as she peered at my broken body.

'Miss, this dog is to far gone we can't-'

'No, but we can.' She cut in and she showed them a card.