Chapter 8

I handed Skye my phone and she handed it back to me. "Your phone, your life, your ass, your mother," she said. "That isn't the point, the point is they couldn't reach her and now their calling me," I replied. She answered the phone and put it up to my ear. "Hello?" I said. "Yes, I'd like to speak with Haden Millers?" He said. "This is she." He paused for a moment and said,"This is detective Holbrook, your mother has been missing for the past 5 hours now, and we need to bring her in for questions. Do you know her whereabouts?" I froze as if I had committed a crime. "Uh, sh-she's not available at the moment but I'll leave her a message," I said. "Thank you." He hung up the phone, and I started to pace. "Well?" Skye said. "Skye I know that you're really concerned right now, about me and all of this, but I'm gonna have to disappear for the rest of this year," I said. She looked at me puzzled, knowing that she had to come with me. "No, your mother is sick, and so are you. What makes you think I'm about to let you up and leave?" She said. "Detective Holbrook will become suspicious if you and Ms. Millers both go missing, the same day but 5 hours apart, it will make it seem like a crime," Skye said. I had made a getaway bag the night of the party, all I had to do was get it and run away. Far away from GreenCity as fast as I could. But with my condition I couldn't travel how I wanted to. "You can come with me" I said. "I was afraid you'd say that Haden" she replied. "It might not seem like it, but I care about things, and you're apart of those "things" so neither of us is leaving GreenCity." She had betrayed me. Although it apposed to be of her helping me, she had secrets of her own. I remembered that my mom used to take modafinil on stressful nights. "Excuse me" I said. I walked past her, through the kitchen, and to the bathroom. I looked in the medicine cabinet and took two pills. "Now, condition I want you to try and put me to sleep" I said. I walked back into the living room with Skye. "Everything alright?" She asked. "Of course Skye, everything is just fine" I replied.