CHAPTER 1

I had just got home from a party, and was already expecting a hangover. I hadn't been drinking in about 2 years, and everything felt unfamiliar to me. I was feeling unfamiliar. It felt as if someone had just hit me in the head. "Haden" My mom said. "Is that you?" I gradually walk to the kitchen, collapsing on the floor. "HADEN!" She yelled. I couldn't hear her words anymore, everything closed around me. *INDISTINCT CHATTER* "We had to pump her stomach Mrs. Miller, we almost lost her," a doctor says. My mom comes closer to me, wiping the beaming lines of sweat off of my face. "Mom?" I said. "What happened?" I asked. The doctor knew it was his time to leave the room, and give us space. My mom had a handkerchief in her hand, wiping her face continuously. "Are you upset?" I ask her. She doesn't answer me. She just looks at me in disbelief. "I'm upset with you" She said. "You know we're struggling, and you go off and do something, like this!?" She yelled. "Mom, you've made mistakes too, maybe I was one of them." She looked at me, not expecting those words to come out of my mouth. "You will NEVER be a mistake," she said while caressing my face. "If I feel stressed out, can I start talking to a therapist?" I asked. She looked at me again, this time with a more sad face. "No, that costs too much, just come to me.. I'm your mom." I rolled my eyes at her, feeling even more upset. ALL of my life she hadn't chose to talk to me, and now she complains about money? "Where's my phone?" I asked. She goes to a closet and gets out my purse. She takes out my phone, and powers it on while handing it to me. Suddenly, a nurse walks in. "We have bad news " she said.

"That is?" My mom said. "Your daughter.. she's..."