nineteen

"oikawa?"

oikawa snapped to, glancing down at the ravenette. iwaizumi merely trailed his eyes over to what oikawa was looking at a few moments prior, then spied the paper with the poem written on it.

"oh."

oikawa said nothing, and so did iwaizumi. they stayed still awkwardly for a few moments, allowing themselves to be immersed in the sounds of students chattering.

"you... you've had it all this time?" oikawa finally spoke, quietly.

iwaizumi nodded slowly, unable to speak.

"why didn't you tell me?" oikawa asked, his voice a little shaky, "and why did you leave my message last night on 'read'?"

iwaizumi said nothing. he did not know what to say.

"so you can see the colours, can't you?" oikawa asked, silent tears beginning to prick at his eyes, "answer me!"

the chattering in the background died down. everyone was looking at the two childhood friends, not daring to say anything, but watching the scene unfold instead.

"never mind," oikawa muttered, "forget it. just..."

he could not complete his own sentence. stumbling backwards a little, he took quick strides out of the classroom. murmurs rippled throughout the classroom, with some students throwing occasional glances at iwaizumi.

and for a moment, he could see it. he was still standing, alone in the wreckage.