The Meeting

"Are you sure you can't stay home and babysit... Pepper, please, it's an hour long, 2 tops." Tony pleaded, following his girlfriend around the room. Peter sat watching the two adults curiously.

"Tony, you asked me to get the adoption papers, so that's what I'm doing. Just take Peter with you, he'll love it. It's not like you have a mission anyway, it's just your gathering to catch up right? It won't kill you to have him there." She shot back, ruffling Peter's hair as she passed to head to the elevator.

Tony sighed in frustration as the elevator closed, leaving him alone with the 5 year old.
"Fine. The meeting starts in half an hour... You want to wear your Spiderman suit again, make things easier for me?" He asked, looking down at the kid. Peter nodded happily, watching Tony rush off to get it.

Once Peter was dressed, Tony realized they hadn't had time for breakfast still needed to feed Peter. Thankfully, he'd had Happy run a few early morning errands for him and they had cereal bars. He'd also grabbed a bunch of action figures (kids like those right?) which were now shoved into a little bag to take with them, just in case Peter got bored during the meeting. They wouldn't exactly be talking about anything a kid would find exciting.
"Here. Eat." Tony handed the bar to Peter, who happily obliged as he was lifted.

"We're headed to the top floor, I've got you some toys in case you're bored..." He told the boy. Peter only half understood what Tony had said but he was excited for the toys. He loved toys.

The elevator arrived on the floor and Tony hurried to the meeting room, checking his watch. He was late already. 10 minutes to be exact. Oh how Steve was going to rub that in.

"Sorry, I'm late." He huffed, walking into the room. The group looked up, ready to scold and tease him for his tardiness, even if he was usually late so they all expected it by now.  Their eyes, however, fell on Peter tucked in Tony's arms.

"Where did the kid come from?" Steve asked, eyebrows raised. Natasha snickered.

"This is Peter. Pepper couldn't watch him, so he's going to have to stay here. Just ignore him. I'll set him up with some toys and we can pretend he's not even here." Tony promised, setting Peter on the floor in the corner and pulling the action figures out of the bag for him.
The other Avengers exchanged questioning glances as Tony joined them. Most couldn't keep their eyes from straying to Peter as the conversation was once again directed back to crime fighting.

Peter felt like he'd been sitting in this corner for hours. He was hungry and he needed to pee, but Tony was busy. Maybe if he just waited a bit longer... He couldn't hold it. It was too much, he needed a potty quick. He stood padding his way over to the adults, pulling gently on one of the men's pant legs.

Clint felt someone pulling on his pant leg and he looked down, welcoming the distraction from this Stark Vs. Rogers argument that these meetings always seemed to turn into. The kid Tony had brought in smiled shyly up at him.
"I need to use da potty." He explained, bouncing slightly. Oh boy.

Clint looked up at the others, clearly distracted and shrugged. "Alright, little man. I'll take you to the potty." He reached down for the boys hand and led him out of the room, nobody noticing them leave.

"So your names Peter?" He asked as they walked down the hall.
"Spiderman." He pointed to the emblem on his chest. "When I grow up, I'm going to be a superhero just like Mr. Stark." He explained and Clint raised his eyebrows.

They reached the bathroom and Clint paused. "You, uh, can use it by yourself right?" He asked uncertainly. Peter nodded, letting go of the man's hand.
"I'll be quick." The 5 year old promised.

".... You can't just disagree with what I say, simply because you don't like it. Clint-" Tony whipped around to get advice from his friend, but the seat was empty. Everyone else turned to look, confused.

"Peter's gone too. They left a while ago. I noticed but you guys were too busy arguing and you're impossible to stop when you're like that." Bruce said airily. Tony nearly blew the roof off with how loud he yelled out at that.
"WHAT? PEPPER IS GOING TO KILL ME! I'VE BARELY HAD HIM A DAY!" Tony cursed, racing out of the room.
He was about to start yelling for Peter, when he saw the bathroom door open. Clint was stood outside and Peter smiled up at him as he came out of the bathroom, taking his hand.
"Peter!" Tony cried in relief, racing to the boy. Peter looked up.

"Stark!" He smiled, letting the man pull him into a hug.
Tony looked up at Clint. "Don't do that again. I thought he was dead or kidnapped or hurt..."
Clint snorted. "Tony. He had to use the bathroom and you were in such a heated debate, if he asked you he probably would've pissed his pants. Sorry for not giving you a heads up." He shrugged.

"Sorry Stark." Peter mumbled awkwardly.
"I'm sorry too, Peter. Next time, let me know if you're going somewhere with someone. I don't want to lose you." He insisted and Peter nodded.
"Come on, let's go pack up your toys. The meeting is over anyway." He lifted the boy and Clint raised his eyebrows.

"So Tony Stark has a kid now. Funny, I didn't figure you the family type." He noted as they approached the room.
Tony shifted Peter in his arms. "Neither did I."