Chapter 2: First Day at School

"Hanji! Get up! School!" Mom's voice rose from the kitchen and wafers into my room.

"Coming!" I say. Quickly changing into jeans, a yellow shirt and a leather jacket. I brushed my hair and putting it into a very messy ponytail. After I was doing that, I brushed my teeth before making my way downstairs. "Hi Mom, hi Dad!" I say, quickly taking the toast my mom made for me.

"Careful, Hanji!" Mom says before I leave. 

"I will!" I rushed out of the house, running into someone else. "Sorry."

"You again?"

I looked up to see Levi, holding his hand out for me. "Sorry..." I take his hand and he pulls me up with no sweat. "Thanks." He grunts as he adjusts his backpack.

"Yeah yeah, hurry it up."

He walks next to me, "Hey, are you walking to school?"

"Yeah."

"I thought you don't have school."

"Just because I'm a delinquent doesn't mean that I'm that bad. Do you think I'm actually that bad?"

I shake my head, "No, you don't seem like that kind of person." I look back to Levi. He seemed like he didn't care about anything. "Can I ask a few questions?"

He sighs. "Alright, there's no harm in doing so."

"Okay. How old are you?"

"Seriously? How old do you think I am?"

"17?"

"Close, 18. You?"

"17."

"I see. You're a junior?"

"Yeah, I am. Obviously, you're a senior. And... yeah. What classes do you have?"

"In order? Uh... I don't remember. All I know is that I have English, math, social studies, and French. Tomorrow, I got science, martial arts, and 2 offs. That's all. You?"

"I memorized my whole schedule for today. First, I have German, social studies, English and an off. Tomorrow, I have math, science, extra tutoring classes then an off."

"Memorized? Did you spend all night just looking at the schedule? I hardly memorize anything, I just wing it."

"And? Your grades?"

"I actually don't care about them."

"Oh." I then see the popular girls up front and I slowed down. "Levi, please, slow down."

"What? Why?" He does so, slowing our pace.

I pointed to the girls, "They're the ones who are popular, and told me to stay away from you." I breathed in and out, trying to slow my pace. "I could tell that they're gonna harass my life."

"Don't worry about them, okay? I'll handle them."

"Should I have listened to them?"

"No, you shouldn't. Like you said, they're popular and pretty nasty. Good job not listening to them so far."

"T-Thanks..."

He sighs before looking at me, "Hanji, you'll be fine."

"Wow... that's weird."

"What's weird?"

"My whole life, I've been told that I should never be around bad boys and all that. Yet, here I am, talking to you."

"Just because I have problems doesn't necessarily mean that I'm a bad person. I don't hurt others, I just want them to leave me alone and not treat me like a child. I should rely on myself and not others."