Chapter 6: School Dances

The week before Spring Break was a school dance. I'm not much of a party person, and when I am, it's usually with my group of weird friends. Not as a huge surprise, but I was anonymously picked to plan the dance. This morning, Levi walked me to my locker, not giving a damn about what the others whispered behind our backs.

"Like I said, congrats on being the planner of the dance. Bet you're gonna make it... I don't know, better than any typical school dance." He smirks at me as I stopped to input the code into my locker. "If you manage to do that, I might consider going."

"Oh yeah? With who?" I asked him as he sarcastically looks around.

He sighs over and over, "So many girls I can just pick up- kidding, who else would I take? My only choice is you, Hanji."

"Really? Me? And, are you sure you want me?"

A soft chuckle escapes his lips, "Of course, why wouldn't I? You're perfect in every way I could possibly think of..." He leans closer to me, Levi takes my hand and holds it tightly, "No one's gonna take you away from me..."

"Heh, you might be wrong about that, Levi." The bell rings and everyone around us started to pick up their pace. "Classes are about to start..." I groaned, quickly taking out a notebook from the locker before locking it back up. "See you at lunch?"

Levi nods his head, "Yeah, see you there..."

He walks the opposite direction as I went to my first class of the day, Calculus. Walking passed the girls' bathroom, Dawn was at the entrance, like she was waiting for me. Dressed in a short yellow dress and her hair was down, ironed straight. Unlike the other times I seen her, she had this look of jealously on her face.

"Dawn, it's nice to meet you again." I say, "Love to chat with you, but-"

"Don't fool me with that attitude, Hanji Zoe. I told you when we first met, to stay away from the bad boy on the streets. Now, I see you talking to him everyday. Why is that? Why ignore what I said? He was too strong to resist? I know exactly what that feels like. He's playing you, Hanji, and he doesn't care about you. Loves to play around and break their tiny hearts."

Break hearts? Levi didn't seem that kind of person, not the person to play others and break hearts. He took a lot of time and energy to know me from time to time. But lately... he did seem to be a bit off. Sometimes, he'll be late when meeting me at a certain place. And when he's late, there was this red-headed girl with green eyes giggling whenever I saw him. Perhaps... he was breaking my heart. I put so much faith into him... "No, he's not." Why am I defending him? Was it because what he tells me? Why...? "Levi Ackerman is not the kind of person to do that to me or anyone else-"

"I know the girl he hangs around when you're not there. As I heard, that girl's his real girlfriend. He plays with us, Hanji..."

"And how do I know you're not playing me? I'll ask him myself."

"Huh, he's not going to tell you the truth." Those words... I walked away from her, thinking about what she said. He probably won't tell me the truth, but I need to know. Levi, if you lie to me, I will break you.

*   *   *

"Hanji, you seem... a bit more stressed... is it because of the school dance?" Nanaba asks as she takes her usual seat. "You do know you can accept other-"

"The dance isn't what's stressing me. There's this red-headed girl with bright green eyes, what's her name?"

"Uh... Hanji, you're not making any sense. There's no red-headed girl with green eyes that attends here..."

"I just want to know... who she is and her relationship with Levi." I turned to the entrance, examining every girl I see. So far, nothing, but I did see Miche and Erwin making their way down here.