✿Chapter 9: New Home

Narrator POV

"Are we th-there yet?"

Only silence accompanied the question. Mary couldn't tell what Seto was thinking at all. The silence didn't last long, though. He pulled over to the side of the street the second he had the chance to do so. He looked at his ice cream for a brief second before chucking it out the car. He didn't seem to be angry, though.

"Seto-?" Mary was surprised at the sudden action. He really didn't seem angry. Just... troubled.

His irises were now a bright red color, and from what Mary could see, so were his ears. He was flustered, and he could hear every thought bouncing inside Mary's head. His powers had awakened at a troublesome moment. He hated for this to happen when he was driving. Especially when next to Mary. It felt like a sort of invasion of privacy.

"Sometimes I just don't know what to do with you sometimes." The words were muffled since Seto had placed his head against the steering wheel. His hand extended toward Mary, and he placed it on her thigh.

Her dress was in the way of being completely touched by Seto, but it made her feel tingly nonetheless.

"What do you mean?" she asked.

"You're so pure and innocent on the outside, but when these stupid powers of mine turn on, I can see that not all of you is pure-"

"Seto..." Shocked, Mary felt as though she had to think of nothing, just pure black. Or, in her case, pure pastel pink. With flowers. And a bit of music. Anyway.

"-And I don't mean it as an insult, and I'm sorry for intruding in your thoughts. It just makes me want to follow through with those thoughts for you, but it feels wrong. I know you want me to do things to you, but I think I'm too much of a coward. Or, I guess I'm just afraid I won't be able to stop myself."

"Don't think like that! You know I like you," Mary cursed herself for not being able to say she loved him. She did, but she felt too flustered, and it didn't feel like the right time for some reason. Either way, Seto read her mind at this moment so he knew she meant well, "so there's no reason to feel bad for loving me back. Seto," Mary took Seto's hand and held on tight, "Don't hold back."

Still Narrator POV

About 10 minutes later, Seto and Mary made it to the new home. In the back Seto's truck, they carried mostly kitchen stuff, random furniture, and food. Everything else from the old home was either discarded or taken with them on the bus. The biggest thing was a round table that Konoha insisted he would carry for Ene. It was hard, but probably not the weirdest thing that the bus driver had to deal with that day. 

"Ah, finally!" Kido exclaimed. "Kano's been waiting to help you set up the kitchen." As if almost out of breath, Kido had been the first to greet the two at the new home, and it seemed like everyone else was too busy in their rooms doing as they pleased with it. Kano caught up and headed to the truck. He waved at Seto before jogging to the car.

"Kido," said Seto.

"Yeah?" Said the slightly breathless Kido. Mary had begun to head to the truck to grab some things.

"You're bleeding." Seto went up to Kido and poked at the shoulder that had a small blood stain on Kido's light grey shirt. It was minor bleeding, but Kido flinched a little too hard, and Seto seemed suspicious. He said nothing, though.

"I have bandaids in the car. Hopefully, nothing fell off the truck on the way here, and Mary just didn't want to take two trips transporting her goods," Seto laughed as he patted Mary's head. Mary heard just enough of the conversation to ask,

"Bandaids?"

Seto only looked at Mary and smiled a very charming smile that seemed to have flustered Mary.

Blushing, Mary added, "I'm gonna go tell Kano to come and help me put everything in the Kitchen," and with that, the little Mary ran off without looking back. Seto looked at Mary with a face Kido had never seen before. She said nothing, though.

"Tsubomi, my powers are getting worse. How did you deal with it? I know back then... I know it was hard for you then. Before we met." Seto said this in a very fast pace but seemed obviously hesitant to ask. He finished with a big sigh, and locked eyes with Kido, as if he would be relying on whatever Kido was to say next.

"My parents would go looking for me as if I was missing. Gone. Lost. I was there the whole time, but my powers got so bad that they wouldn't hear me screaming and they couldn't feel me tugging at their clothes." Her voice didn't waver, but her face definitely showed the true feelings of her distant memory. It was times like these that Kido wished she had Kano's powers to hide what she wanted to hide.

"What helped? I mean, I know there's no solution that fixes this at the snap of a finger-" Seto paused when he saw Kano and Mary walk towards him and Kido.

Kido looked as well and smiled at them. Seto's eyes flashed red yet again, and he immediately closed his eyes and breathed in.

"Seto," Kido placed her hand on his shoulder, "let the people around you help. Even venting this to me will help, trust me. My sister was the person that helped me handle it all, you just have to find that person who can help you calm down, even if they're not physically there to help." At this, Kido's voice cracked, and Seto knew why. Not because Kido has told him of her past before, but because his power was in motion, and he could see her memories. And not only that, but he had seen what happened with her and Kano before they came, and Seto couldn't help but feel slightly... aroused at the memory. It was times like this he wished he didn't have such a useless and invasive power. Just like that, though, it went away as Mary ran up to him and hugged him.

"Kano said you gotta help him move the big stuff." Mary looked up at Seto, and her eyebrows furrowed. "What's wrong?"

"It's hot outside," Seto began to lie. "Guess I shouldn't have thrown my ice cream out the window, huh?" Kido and Kano looked at each other and decided not to ask. 

Mary laughed. "Don't worry, I'll make something super refreshing after as a thank you!"