Chapter Three

"Um...Sara..."Sara Dawson, Yvette's paternal grandmother, a woman in her early sixties who always wore her hair in a chignon style smiled at Yvette.

"You need something?" She asked still smiling.

"Yeah. Mr...." She gestured towards the door and flinched as a result of the loud bang.

"Drew Kipling." He answered curtly and walked in long strides towards Sara's table.

"Right. Mr. Kipling. He wants to talk to you." Sara stood up slowly.

"Good afternoon, Mr. Kipling. I hope there is no problem." She gestured towards the seat in front of her. "Have your seat." Yvette spoke up again.

"Excuse me.I'll be at the counter if you need me." She left closing the door silently.

"What's the matter, Mr. Kipling?" Sara asked, adjusting her glasses.

"Actually, I want to hire your granddaughter." Damn! He was too direct. He didn't even waste time beating about the bush.

"What do you mean by 'hire' my granddaughter?" She didn't try to hide her confusion.

"And what does 'hire' mean to you?" He replied her sharply. She looked shocked for a moment but quickly got over it.

"Well, going by my knowledge of the word 'hire', you can't hire Yvette, my dear Mr. Kipling.

"Really??" He sounded taken aback and very surprised. "You mean I can't get what I requested for?" He looked like she was the first person in the world to turn down his request. "What can she do, by the way?" He said, putting his legs on her table and crossing them. Sara, who was formerly standing up, sat down.

"All the house chores you can think of. She can cook too. She can do all a normal and responsible girl should know how to do." She eyed him sceptically.

"Okay, okay. Can I hire her?" He looked at her directly in the eyes. Sara muttered under her breath.

"How would Chris send his overly rude son to me? I thought I made the deal with him, not his son. I'd call him later to find out the cause of all this nonsense." She looked up at Drew. "I'm only doing this for your father."

"So...can I?" He really wouldn't let her be, would he?

"Well, it depends on her, Mr. Kipling. She's the one who has to compromise, not me. It totally depends on Yvette." Yvette walked in just then.

"Sara, the vegetables vendor is around..in the kitchen."

"Ohh, good. I'll be right there." Sara said and Yvette turned to leave. "Wait." Sara said, unsure of how to approach her.

"Yeah?" She turned back, feeling somewhat jittery.

"Do you by any way agree to Mr. Kipling's proposal?" Yvette's eyes almost popped out. She looked really shocked.

"Proposal? me?...agree? No!..I'm not agreeing to any proposal." She shook her head. "....and I'm not getting married anytime soon." Just then, Drew burst into a very throaty laughter.

"Who said you're getting married?To me? Nahhh. Dream on, little girl." Sara took off her glasses.

"This isn't about marriage, my love. He simply wants you to work for him." Sara deadpanned.

"Work? for him?" She blinked repeatedly as if checking if what she heard was right. When Sara nodded, she said, " Nahhhhh...that's not gonna happen. Never."

"Ahh..Yvy love..you know I've been talking to you about change of environment and routine and you promised me you were going to do it for me when you got the chance. This could be the chance, you know." Sara wiggled her eyebrows which made Yvette roll her eyes at her.

"Okay, I'll go but..." She finally turned to acknowledge Drew's presence. "I'll be  visiting her at least twice in a week."

"Nope." He said, popping the 'p'. "It'd be once in a month." He said as he adjusted the Calvin Klein watch on his wrist.

"What?" She screamed. "I don't think I'd be interested anymore. Once in a month, eh?" Sara frowned.

"Oh..no baby, you can't do that. I'm perfectly alright with that arrangement." Yvette started to think that Sara had planned this.

"Uhh?..if you are fine with it. Know that I'm only doing this for you, Sara." Yvette smiled.

"That's my girl." Sara pulled her close and kissed her cheeks.

"Enough of all that." Drew's voice snapped them out of their lovey-dovey emotional moments. "Let's get going, you'll be staying at my house."

"Huh? with you? uggggh!" Yvette eyed him.

"Yvy love, be on your way. Behave yourself and don't forget that I love you heartily."

"Yeah and I love you too, Sara. Don't forget to call me..and your crush is still waiting in the kitchen." Sara blushed. Did she really like the Veggie vendor? That's weird. Really weird.

"Just go baby, Love you more than you think ." Drew eyed Sara.

"I'll drive down later tomorrow and we'll sign the contract." Sara nodded her head.

"Uh..we'll stop at my house to get my things first. Bye Sara." Yvette and Sara air-kissed and they left the office and the restaurant's premises in his Yellow convertible Mustang.