Chapter Four

When we get to the train station, I'm already tired and hungry. In district 13, we don't have enough food for everyone. We earn our food by the few of us who hunt. When on the train, I recognise someone from the same district. My dad. "Dad? Your my mentor?" I ask him." Yes." He replies. I think it weird enough he's a mentor but it's even weirder that he's my mentor for the Hunger Games. "Hey." I hear a voice say behind me. I spin around and realise it's Gade." How come you didn't call me Layla?" I ask coolly. "Are you actually excited for the Hunger Games? I mean, why?" He asks. "I don't know.." I sigh. Effie comes bustling in from the other room." Dinner is ready!" She trills while fixing her wig in the mirror across from me. I start walking into the dining room. The sight of it takes my breath away. There are cut-glass chandeliers hanging from the ceiling. There is a turkey that could feed a family of four in District 13 for a week! Around it are people I don't recognise. The only people I recognise are my dad, Gade and Effie. "Who are these people?" I ask Effie." The people stood up are the Avox. They don't talk because they had their tongues chopped out. The people sat down are Gwen,but we call her Gwenny, Gardoir and Crystal" she replies. They all wave at me when Effie points at them in turn. Gwen is quiet pretty, she has blonde hair and wearing a leather outfit with leather socks that are thick enough to be shoes. Gardoir has black, cropped hair and he is wearing a t-shirt with holes in it and grey leather shoes and Crystal is just glittering so much you can't tell what she is wearing. "They are your allies for the Hunger Games. The rules have changed this year, five tributes have to win. When your mother was in it, only two tributes could win. And that, of course, were Katniss and Peeta!" Effie says. No one listens to what she says, they just grab food and eat like they have never seen food in their life! I rip off little bits of meat with a few potatoes because I don't feel hungry. When I've had my fill, I push my plate back." Can I be excused please?" I ask." Of course!" Effie says kindly. I walk back to my room and lie on my bed until someone knocks on my door." Come in Gade" I call." It's not Gade. Its Gardoir" a soft voice says. I sit up and walk over to the door." Hi." He says to me." Hi..." I say timidly. "You OK?" Gardoir says in his soft voice." Yeah. Why wouldn't I be?" I ask. He starts walking back down the corridor and into his room.